PDA

View Full Version : Any U-Verse subscribers get the emergency alert?

Phil Thien
10-25-2014, 10:32 AM
AT&T's emergency alert system was inadvertently triggered by some non-affiliated talk show this last week and U-Verse subscribers across several states woke up to find the following on their TV's:

We interrupt our programming at the request of the White House. This is the Emergency Alert System. All normal programming has been discontinued during this emergency.

The warning (10 am EDT on October 24) asked the viewers to keep their phone lines free in order to receive an important message from the White House.

I don't have U-Verse and am not in one of the states where it occurred anyhow.

But I'm wondering if anyone here did, and how AT&T recovered? Did they say it had been a mistake ("never mind"), simply go back to regular programming, or what?

I mean, with all the carp that has been going on lately, I'll bet this had the potential to really rattle people that watch TV at 10am in the morning (making allowances for people that are retired and/or working alternative shifts).

I have to admit that if I were president, I'd use the emergency alert system to make announcements such as "There is probably little truth to recent Ebola vaccine tests resulting in zombie transformations. We now return you to your normal programming."

Jim Koepke
10-26-2014, 3:55 AM
I have to admit that if I were president, I'd use the emergency alert system to make announcements such as "There is probably little truth to recent Ebola vaccine tests resulting in zombie transformations. We now return you to your normal programming."

You must be joking. In today's topsy turvy world of reporting that would become solid evidence of a cover up and a reason why we should all run for our lives, the Ebola Zombie Apocalypse is coming! :eek: :eek: :eek::eek: :eek:
:eek: :eek: :eek:
After all, doesn't "little truth" mean there is some truth? :eek: :eek: :eek:

jtk

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

They're gonna get you.

Jim Matthews
10-26-2014, 3:26 PM
They're gonna get you.

Yeah, but there's a buffet afterwards.
You get to come as you are -
no dress code.

Mike Cozad
10-26-2014, 5:34 PM
Oddly I happened to be working from home Friday and had just turned on the TV to take a break for a few minutes and see what was on TV during the day since I have never been at home to find out. The alert popped up but I was in a mood not to care, thought it was one of those of emergency broadcast tests, and hit the button to skip it. So I think there was nothing to recover from as it disappeared and nevercame back on the 10 minutes I channel surfed.

BTW, unless you have pay channels, daytime TV appeared to be crap programming. There was nothing of any value or interest on.