PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used laser, what to look for

Jay Selway
10-25-2014, 12:49 AM
So, I'm all set on getting the Trotec 400, but then a very VERY good deal on a year old helix 24x18 fell into my lap today. I know the guy has taken great care of the laser, but I'm considering picking it up as a low-cost option to my startup.

Anything in particular I should look for when testing the laser?

Henri Sallinen
10-25-2014, 3:14 AM
My advice would be to see if the machine is in good condition by eye and if it looks like it's been well cared for, then the tube would be the next thing to worry. Lenses / mirrors can be changed quite cheap compared to the tube.

Even the tube isn't a problem if you got the bucks to pay for a new one.

Scott Shepherd
10-25-2014, 8:13 AM
Does that defeat all the things you wanted to do? High power? Pass through? Large pieces? Sort of really changes your entire business plan, doesn't it?

Jay Selway
10-27-2014, 6:07 PM
Does that defeat all the things you wanted to do? High power? Pass through? Large pieces? Sort of really changes your entire business plan, doesn't it?

Nah, it doesn't. Bulk of the stuff we are doing is smaller, and I found a partner to do the larger stuff at a reasonable price that's not too far.

Scott Shepherd
10-27-2014, 6:25 PM
Nah, it doesn't. Bulk of the stuff we are doing is smaller, and I found a partner to do the larger stuff at a reasonable price that's not too far.

Cool, so did you get the smaller one?

Jay Selway
10-27-2014, 9:58 PM
Cool, so did you get the smaller one?

Put a deposit on a Helix 24 with 18x24" bed today. 50w for now.

Still going to get the Trotec, but going to wait a bit.

Christine McCuan
10-31-2014, 8:30 AM
I'm new on this site. Not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I'm looking for someone that can make me some rolling pins that were a prototype that never went into production. I have photos and video but don't know how to get it on here.

Christine McCuan
10-31-2014, 8:33 AM
I'm new on this site. Not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I'm looking for someone that can make me some rolling pins that were a prototype that never went into production. I have photos and video but don't know how to get it on here. Chrismccuan@gmail.com