PDA

View Full Version : What goes into a $3m wristwatch?

Bruce Page
10-23-2014, 4:18 PM
Patek Philippe 5175R Grandmaster Chime Watch

Long but very well done. The choir music is a little over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGPjFFMD3c0&feature=youtu.be

David Weaver
10-23-2014, 4:39 PM
Patek Philippe 5175R Grandmaster Chime Watch

Pricing creativity and a lot of salesmanship!

(it looks very nice at the end, though. Really a pretty watch).

Chris Padilla
10-23-2014, 6:06 PM
Pretty cool and incredibly intricate! But that watch is HUGE! It would dwarf my puny wrists.

Bill Orbine
10-23-2014, 6:11 PM
Very nice watch...... now things gets complicated! Do I get the Bugatti Veyron? Or save a little more for the watch?

John Coloccia
10-23-2014, 6:42 PM
Very nice watch...... now things gets complicated! Do I get the Bugatti Veyron? Or save a little more for the watch?

Better just get both. You can't be too careful, you know.

Myk Rian
10-23-2014, 7:27 PM
So, that's how my watch was made.. I missed the tour of the factory.

Roger Feeley
10-23-2014, 10:34 PM
OK, I'll say it. This watch is for people with too much time on their hands.

Phil Thien
10-23-2014, 11:14 PM
The craftsmanship is impressive.

Rich Engelhardt
10-24-2014, 7:12 AM
What goes into a $3m wristwatch?I can tell you one thing that won't go into it - - my wrist! LOL!

Jason Roehl
10-24-2014, 8:33 AM
So I can get that fixed at Walmart if I have a problem, right?

David Weaver
10-24-2014, 8:35 AM
So I can get that fixed at Walmart if I have a problem, right?

Harbor Freight has a couple of watch tools and some loupes. That ought to do it.

John Coloccia
10-24-2014, 9:15 AM
Harbor Freight has a couple of watch tools and some loupes. That ought to do it.

I think they have a Patek Philippe watch repair kit on sale for $2.99, and if you look in the current flyer there's a coupon for a free magnesium fire starter.

David Weaver
10-24-2014, 9:20 AM
I think they have a Patek Philippe watch repair kit on sale for $2.99, and if you look in the current flyer there's a coupon for a free magnesium fire starter.

Limit 10 of each!!

Bill Huber
10-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Now I am wondering, would I ware it in the shop or not.....

When you think about it in the old days all that work was done by hand, no CNC.

ken masoumi
10-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Where does the battery go?

Mel Fulks
10-24-2014, 11:53 AM
When I was young ,watch manufacturers made a big deal over watches,especially "dress watches", being thin. Hard to get all those pieces in an "appropriately" thin watch. Then accurate electronic watches made it pretty easy. Nothing to do but
shift the appeal to big manly watches, sometimes on the shopping channels you can catch them on sale . And like sisters
in a fairy tale "each is more beautiful than the one before". AT LAST! They have figured out how to make an expensive
watch almost as big as an alarm clock!

David Weaver
10-24-2014, 12:02 PM
the large watch craze is almost comical. Some of the watches weigh half a pound (maybe more?) and I'd imagine CNC manufacturing has made it cheaper to make movements because the cost of watches has generally gone down by spec over the last 20 years.

the first good watch I ever had had a japanese movement in it (a chase durer watch, a brand that I've been told is a "poser" brand) and was relatively plain, but had a sapphire dial. It is 15 years old and has no scratches on the dial despite the rest of the watch showing that I wore it every day and everywhere for 10 years. Anymore, it's a small watch.

I bought the next watch with a swiss movement for the same price. It's bigger and more cosmetic looking, but I wish I would've gotten another one of the same thing I bought before.

I see that expensive watches now have chimes in them (presume that's mechanical, as you could make a watch that chimed - actually all of our digital watches in grade school and jr high school chimed -"armitron" digital watches were the craze back then).

As ray or someone mentioned earlier, it's quite expensive and made mostly by CNC with some artisan adornment. Personally, I'd rather have a plainer watch that was made entirely by hand, even though it would probably require more maintenance and not keep time as well. To me, extremely expensive items should have the greatest level of humanity possible. You couldn't wear this watch much, anyway, it's gold and it would be a shame to dent it.

I know there are a lot of technology focused people out there who don't share my disdain for complicated CNC made items, though.

Bill ThompsonNM
10-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Well I can't order it on Amazon so its definitely off my Christmas list.
You can get this Patek Phillipe watch for $108k
(Maybe for workshop use)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K78PO2E/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1414167329&sr=8-2

Better be careful you don't hit the single click order button while viewing that link!

David Weaver
10-24-2014, 12:33 PM
I love the reviews on that watch:

>>The good people at Patek wanted to ensure that their customers have only the finest watches when they decide to not give anyone else the time... and why would they? It's their time, not that lowly cretin's.................... At just over $100,000, there has never been an easier way to say, "I am better than you and you know it." <<

>> saw this watch and sadly this was also very cheap but the guy said it was the most expesive one. I bought it. I started to like it even though it was so cheap. The next year I got a girlfriend and lost all my money.<<

>>This thing is so pedestrian. I could feel it draining the equity away from my second home. <<

Dave Anderson NH
10-24-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm a cheap watch guy by necessity. I have owned over 20 watches I my almost 66 years. The longest any single one lasted before I destroyed it was 5 years. Many only lasted a year or less. I contrast this with my 89 year old father who until 3 years ago had and still used the gold Hamilton watch with gold band my mother gave him upon his graduation from law school in May 1951. He now owns a cheapo too figuring if he bought an expensive one he wouldn't be around to get full use out of it. The thrifty depression raised Massachusetts Yankee hasn't gone out of either my mother or father and they haven't lived in New England for 63 years.

Myk Rian
10-24-2014, 1:27 PM
The longest lasting watch I have owned, I bought from some guy at a gas station I worked at. Literally bought it out of his coat.
Really. I paid $12 for it.

Jim Koepke
10-24-2014, 1:32 PM
I haven't worn a watch in years. My face must scare them since they would stop while looking at them.

Having a clock here or there is all that it takes to meet my needs.

We are not even aware of how to set the alarm on my wife's bedside 'digital' clock radio.

jtk

Wade Lippman
10-24-2014, 2:29 PM
I haven't worn a watch in years.

Does anyone wear a watch? There are clocks everywhere now. But I guess it is an issue of "look how wealthy I am".
I read that Larry Ellison bought Lanai for only $500M. That seems like a much better buy.

David Weaver
10-24-2014, 2:41 PM
I wear a watch - same one - all the time during the week. I take it off to sleep and that's it, and sometimes

I suppose it's really not necessary, though.

FIL wears a timex watch, and he also gets one about every ten years. The dials on them look pretty rough and scratched up, though!! But that's probably the only functional difference between a $300 watch with a sapphire dial vs. a $20 watch.

Darcy Forman
10-24-2014, 9:54 PM
Interesting video, but a little over the top. I like watches, that one is a bit much. I wear a watch every day. It is the first thing I put on in the morning and last item I remove before bed. I have a couple watches myself. One that I wear every day and one that I wear when I dress up, or am at work in the corporate office. I like to wear them even though a guy doesn't really need one these days.

Malcolm Schweizer
10-25-2014, 3:52 PM
Love the video. Amazing craftsmanship, even if I disagree with such pricey toys. I live two blocks from some of the most expensive watch dealers in the world. $40k is a starting price in some of these stores. I happen to have a soft spot for watches, but $500 is the most I will pay for one. I had a girlfriend who wanted a Patek Phillipe, and it was weird because she was not materialistic otherwise. No car, no furniture, but she was dead set on getting a Patek Philippe. I broke up with her, thank goodness, but I did look at a Patek out of curiosity. A friend who owns a jewelry store let me view one. It looked like a cheap Timex. The one in the video at least looks expensive. Perhaps it will go well with my amethyst tub. http://www.flooringhunt.com/the-10-most-expensive-bathtubs-in-the-world/

Bill Orbine
10-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Love the video. Amazing craftsmanship, even if I disagree with such pricey toys. I live two blocks from some of the most expensive watch dealers in the world. $40k is a starting price in some of these stores. I happen to have a soft spot for watches, but $500 is the most I will pay for one. I had a girlfriend who wanted a Patek Phillipe, and it was weird because she was not materialistic otherwise. No car, no furniture, but she was dead set on getting a Patek Philippe. I broke up with her, thank goodness, but I did look at a Patek out of curiosity. A friend who owns a jewelry store let me view one. It looked like a cheap Timex. The one in the video at least looks expensive. Perhaps it will go well with my amethyst tub. http://www.flooringhunt.com/the-10-most-expensive-bathtubs-in-the-world/

It has just occurred to me.....taking a bath with this $3m Patek Phillippe watch is bad news! For all the money in the world, one of the most complicated timepiece with over 1,400 parts is NOT waterproof! I'm leaning towards that Bugatti......:D

Shawn Pachlhofer
10-26-2014, 12:11 AM
for $3m - you'd think it would have something really rare in it: pegasus tears, unicorn farts...stuff like that.

Shawn Pachlhofer
10-26-2014, 12:16 AM
It has just occurred to me.....taking a bath with this $3m Patek Phillippe watch is bad news! For all the money in the world, one of the most complicated timepiece with over 1,400 parts is NOT waterproof! I'm leaning towards that Bugatti......http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

they aren't waterproof either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-45s1zScPUY

Greg Peterson
10-26-2014, 1:17 PM
I think this video goes a long way towards explaining this watch makers target market:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM)