PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
05-27-2003, 11:32 AM
OK....a holiday weekend has come and gone......No shop time for me....just family time and travel to KC to visit with Scott and Jack and to assist Terry in testing Jack's cyclone setup.

I hope to get some shop time this week.

Best of weeks......

Lee Schierer
05-27-2003, 12:38 PM
LOML decided that it was time to relocate the sidewalk that rund to the soon to be a window front door. THe sidewalk had been poured and had cracked in to two sections, each about 72" long, 42" wide and 3+ deep.

Witht eh help of my neighbor, I got them up an out of their original location. I used our Explorer to drag them to the back of the house. There I wanted to reset them to make a sidewalk from out green house in to the back yard.

As I struggled to get the first one moved 5 feet to the hole, LOML suggested rollers under it. I rigged up some tracks using old 4 x 4 posts and rollers using round stakes we had for the garden. The first one took about an hour to get it located and leveled.

My neighbor saw me working on the second one so he came over to help. With two guys, the second block only took about 30 minutes to locate since I already had the hole level.

Other than being a bit stiff today, everything turned out fine.

Jim Becker
05-27-2003, 1:24 PM
I actually accomplished what I set out to do in the shop this long weekend...and a whole weekend of rain insured that other "responsibilities" didn't get in the way.

I completed the face frames for our pantry cabinets and another cabinet destined to fill a very nice, yet fake fireplace in the kitchen as well as drawer fitting and some other details. I also got some of the priming done on the pantry cabinets and the shellac on the interiors.

And Lee, you really need a compact tractor if you're going to be dragging heavy objects around your property with any frequency! (It's also great for lifting heavy power tools out of the delivery trucks...) :D

Bob Lasley
05-27-2003, 2:26 PM
Of course the big hit of the weekend was the arrival of our new grandson on Friday evening. Between trips to the hospital and then our son and dil's place, I did manage to get quite a bit done on the crib. The ends are all glued up and the parts are cut for the sides. I cut 52 mortises yesterday evening. I am certainly thankful for my mortising machine.

Have a great week all,
Bob

keith zimmerman
05-27-2003, 3:22 PM
of the new shop walls up. IMHO, it looks pretty good. Took longer than anticipated, but I generally work pretty meticulously when doing construction. Also found I have to do some modification to the top of the rake walls in order to have a nailing surface for the ceiling when I hang that.

Pics will be posted when complete.

Indy 500 on Sunday was a great race, but a long day.

keithz

Kevin Post
05-27-2003, 4:22 PM
I finally got started building the table saw workstation that appeared in ShopNotes #50. I'm going to put my JET contractor saw on it.

http://www.backissuestore.com/lib/backissuesstore/sn050-toc1.jpg

I purchased a Biesemeyer fence this winter and it has been sitting in the box until this weekend. LOML went to visit the out-laws (her family) this weekend and took the kids with her. I was able to work all weekend with few interruptions. I got the table done as well as most of the carcass.

I also purchased a new drill at Home Depot. They had a Bosch 1005VSRK marked down to $29.00 from $59.95 on the clearance table. It's a 2500 RPM drill that I'll use almost exclusively for drilling pocket holes with my Kreg Jig so I won't have to change bits. The only downside so far is the drill doesn't have a brake.

-Kevin

Anthony Yakonick
05-27-2003, 5:52 PM
Two days, Two kegs 'nuff said!

Anthony

PS
There were about 50 people there.

Jim Becker
05-27-2003, 5:59 PM
Originally posted by Anthony Yakonick
There were about 50 people there.

This is certainly good news to hear...I am thinking you would be having trouble typing otherwise! :D

Tom Sweeney
05-27-2003, 6:38 PM
I rigged up a tarp (rained all weekend) across a large maple tree that I cut down a few years ago. It was huge - but completely rotted on the inside. It had been laying on it's side since I cut it down about 3 years ago.

I started trying to cut it up on Saturday - trying because I was fighting a losing battle with my little echo chainsaw. After about 6 hours I had about a 2 foot section cut up & my blood pressure was definately on the rise . :rolleyes:

The good news is I got several small pieces of very pretty figured & spalted maple.

Sunday after Church I tried again but gave up. Went to the Borg (small stealth Gloat alert) to rent a chainsaw. I checked the for sale area first & they had a Poulan 18" 40cc for sale for a not much more than 2 day rental on one - so I bought one.

Brought it home & quickly cut most of the tree up. I will get a few more useable peices -just big enough for small boxes & such. I still have one more big section to go that looks like it might not be rotted on the inside. I'll check it out sometime this week.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-27-2003, 9:18 PM
Got a little more cleaning done in the shop. (Boy is it in a mess.) Mowed the lawn. Inspected the Hardie Board job being done on my shop building. Scroll sawed some fancy cursive numbers for a neighbor and just generally messed around. Mainly coming to terms with the fact that it is time to move into the last phase of my life. I have never been able to resist the urge to see what is over the next hill.

John Miliunas
05-27-2003, 11:53 PM
Helped clean the house for another showing, cut grass, got picture frame for a large art piece done, manufactured some guides from wood to replace broken plastic ones for some balloon shades, tore old park bench apart and cut/drilled new slats out of Cyprus, started getting the cast iron ends prepped for new paint, spent some time with the family. Oh yeah, also went to Woodcraft and a nice Jet belt/disc sander followed me home. Everybody have yourselves a safe and great week! :cool:

David Hayes
05-28-2003, 10:55 AM
Finished two of the keepsake boxes from Wood Mag. Made them from lacewood with padauk accents - wiped on Danish Oil finish. Put shellac on the entertainment center drawers then installed the oak drawer fronts. Daughter had a dance recital Saturday. All in all, a very good long weekend.
Dave in West TN

Mike Evertsen
05-29-2003, 12:55 AM
Got the mini barn done 10'x16'x8' high walls with over head door 32" service door and two windows,,,and we got alot of yard work done,,,

Rick LoDico
05-29-2003, 7:36 AM
I did a lot of driving in the rain. Went to Va for a wedding but still managed a few miniutes in the shop. I finished a few more tenons and dry fit this cherry table. Well, the preview doesn't show a pic. Another time, I guess.

Glenn Clabo
05-29-2003, 8:40 AM
Originally posted by Rick LoDico
I finished a few more tenons and dry fit this cherry table. Well, the preview doesn't show a pic. Another time, I guess.

Rick,
See our friendly moderators tip to insert pics here ...
Software Tip (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2237)

Jim Becker
05-29-2003, 8:43 AM
I did a lot of ...

Welcome aboard, Rick!

Ted Shrader
05-29-2003, 8:49 AM
I did a lot of driving in the rain. Went to Va for a wedding but still managed a few minutes in the shop. I finished a few more tenons and dry fit this cherry table. Well, the preview doesn't show a pic. Another time, I guess.

Rick -

Welcome to the Creek. Glad to meet you. Good to have a little shop time after all that driving in the rain - not real pleasant. Can't comment on the wedding. :) :D :)

Pull up a stump,

Ted