PDA

View Full Version : lutheran rose

Kevin Clark2227
10-21-2014, 4:39 PM
Does anyone know if there is a copyright on the Lutheran Rose? I can't find any copyright information on it.

David Somers
10-21-2014, 5:07 PM
Kevin,

Is this what you were looking for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Luther-Rose-2.png

Bruce Hoffman
10-21-2014, 9:57 PM
Kevin,

Just go to the source for information on ELCA branding:

http://www.elca.org/Resources/ELCA-Branding

Lots of info, no scary warnings though! It is a christian organization and probably expects to be treated with respect.

Lots of files available, in jpg, tiff and eps formats. Maybe more, I only opened part of one zip file.

Dave Sheldrake
10-22-2014, 7:30 AM
Copyright, registered trademarks and brand names are all treated differently in law. Having a quick look at their site I'd avoid it, some religious organisations can be very litigious to say the least.

cheers

Dave

Jason Roehl
10-22-2014, 8:19 AM
I've seen a number of different Lutheran organizations use that rose over the years, so I doubt any of them have a copyright on it. And Martin Luther's not going to sue you since he's been gone about 500 years.

Frank Corker
10-22-2014, 8:46 AM
I thought it was an actor

Steve Mueller
10-22-2014, 8:50 AM
Kevin,
martin Luther designed this as his personal seal. He describes it in a letter from 1530. While various groups use it, the rose itself is not under copyright.

Steve

Mark Patoka
10-23-2014, 10:53 AM
To clarify Bruce's post, the Luther Rose or Luther Seal is not owned by any one specific Lutheran organization but used for almost 500 years by the Lutherans and other Christian churches as a religious symbol which I doubt are copyrighted. His reference/link is to a specific Lutheran Synod or organization that has it's own symbol/logo and they would control how it is used and displayed, just like any other org and business.

Mike Null
10-23-2014, 3:35 PM
I have never encountered any problems when using religious logos or marks. Not to say it couldn't happen but I believe it to be highly unlikely there would be any legal consequences.

Kevin Clark2227
10-23-2014, 8:13 PM
thanks for all of the input and information. I will tread lightly going forward.

Tristan Ranatza
10-29-2014, 11:57 AM
I think this would fall under "heraldry" just like almost all western religious symbols.