PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance supplies?

Jay Selway
10-20-2014, 1:24 PM
Wondering what I need to pick up for maintenance of the laser.

Optics need to be cleaned daily, right? I know I'll need supplies to do that, but otherwise - anything else I should pick up?

Thanks!

Jay Selway
10-20-2014, 1:41 PM
One other question, most of the masking materials say they can't be used on unsealed wood (at least from what I can find on Laserbits). Any thoughts on this? What about that liquimask stuff.. is that any good?

David Somers
10-20-2014, 2:30 PM
Jay,

Ray Scott at Rabbit Laser has put up a list of suggested stuff to help you with the use of your laser. You might find that useful. Go to the rabbit laser usa web site and on the home screen look on the left edge for tools-n-supplies.

If you do a search on mask or masking in the forum you will find a bunch of posts on the topic that discuss peoples experiences and techniques. You might find that quite useful as well.

Dave

Tim Bateson
10-20-2014, 2:42 PM
I have a roll of glass masking that I'll never use and a quart of liquid mask that will likely never get used as well. Both seemed like good ideas at the time, but neither has proven very practical. Now for someone-else the opposite may be true.

What I'm getting at is don't rush out to buy every conceivable option/supply. So depending on your machine & where you find your niche, as to what supplies you need. Another example, for masking I love simple blue painters tape. You can buy the "laser" masking tapes, but you may or may not find much difference.

BTW - My laser runs 2-4 hrs - 7 days a week & I clean maybe once every couple months. Again this depends - some materials produce more dust than others. Some machines handle that dust better than others.

FYI to all - PLEASE put your laser info in your signature block. It really helps to get the right advice for your specific needs.

Martin Boekers
10-20-2014, 2:54 PM
I've never had an issue with masking tape on unfinished wood, just that it doesn't stick as well. As far as cleaning up the residue on finished plaques
I find that a "Magic Eraser" and Endust works well. I have a small tool box for all the screws and tools I need to work on the laser, that way I'm not running around
trying to find them. ;)

Not sure what type of laser you have but on my Epilogs I have and encoder strip that needs cleaning from time to time (Water and Q-Tips) On my x-axis motor about
twice a year I clean the gear. (Tooth picks or straight pins.

Jay Selway
10-20-2014, 5:03 PM
Jay,

Ray Scott at Rabbit Laser has put up a list of suggested stuff to help you with the use of your laser. You might find that useful. Go to the rabbit laser usa web site and on the home screen look on the left edge for tools-n-supplies.

If you do a search on mask or masking in the forum you will find a bunch of posts on the topic that discuss peoples experiences and techniques. You might find that quite useful as well.

Dave

Thanks David! This is perfect.

Josh Borlovan
10-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Wondering what I need to pick up for maintenance of the laser.

Optics need to be cleaned daily, right? I know I'll need supplies to do that, but otherwise - anything else I should pick up?

Thanks!

Optics shouldn't be need to be cleaned daily unless you are doing hours of very nasty material each day. Its a good idea to inspect them daily, but actually cleaning? Prob. wont be mandatory. Your application may prove me wrong though.

Buy a box of Ziess lens cleaning wipes at the Wal-mart or Sams club eye center. They are perfect.

Also, a bottle of scrubbin bubbles to remove wood resin if you are cutting wood.

Scott Shepherd
10-21-2014, 8:08 AM
Your machine will come with lens cleaning supplies.

Pete James
10-21-2014, 9:49 AM
Right at the top of my supplies list is a big bottle of Everclear. It cleans almost anything, just put a little on a soft rag and then take a big swig to help with quality control.:)

Robert Tepper
10-22-2014, 12:16 AM
A good powerful shop vac is a must.

Robert

David Somers
10-22-2014, 12:27 AM
And don't forget some good fruit punch to help you use up any excess Everclear before it goes bad! <grin>

A small water sprayer to knock out small flare ups, and a fire extinguisher for full on fires. There have been some really good threads on the topic of fire extinguishers by the way.

Dave

Jay Selway
10-22-2014, 12:46 AM
I have a roll of glass masking that I'll never use and a quart of liquid mask that will likely never get used as well. Both seemed like good ideas at the time, but neither has proven very practical. Now for someone-else the opposite may be true.

What I'm getting at is don't rush out to buy every conceivable option/supply. So depending on your machine & where you find your niche, as to what supplies you need. Another example, for masking I love simple blue painters tape. You can buy the "laser" masking tapes, but you may or may not find much difference.

BTW - My laser runs 2-4 hrs - 7 days a week & I clean maybe once every couple months. Again this depends - some materials produce more dust than others. Some machines handle that dust better than others.

FYI to all - PLEASE put your laser info in your signature block. It really helps to get the right advice for your specific needs.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have a laser yet, but I suppose I could put the 'incoming' laser in there... Thanks.

Jay Selway
10-22-2014, 12:50 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm amazed by how helpful you all have been.

Trying to get the final details all in order, get some contracts signed for the space, and then make the purchase. Hoping to have everything set up and firing the laser by January 1st. This would not have been possible without the incredible helpfulness of the members of SMC.

Thanks!!

Dave Sheldrake
10-22-2014, 7:34 AM
Jay,

Clean the lens/mirrors with a solution applicable to the item you cut, for plastics use a solvent such as IPA (NOT acetone), for MDF or LaserPLY use de-ionised water.

Avoid cleaning solutions of other types as the lens's have AR coatings that can be damaged if you use the wrong stuff.

IPA will NOT properly clean the residue from MDF, you need to use the solvent that the material is based on (in the case of MDF the glue is water based so use water to clean it etc)

cheers

Dave

Graham Taylor
10-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Dave,

I am also looking to start building up my laser tools and supplies so:

For plastics use a solvent such as IPA - i assume IPA stand for Isopropyl Alcohol.
For MDF or LaserPLY use de-ionised water.

Is it all 'created equal' and can be bought from eBay or do you have a prefered supplier (if you tell him that you are recomending him he may give you a discount on the stuff you buy)?

Cheers

Jay,

Clean the lens/mirrors with a solution applicable to the item you cut, for plastics use a solvent such as IPA (NOT acetone), for MDF or LaserPLY use de-ionised water.

Avoid cleaning solutions of other types as the lens's have AR coatings that can be damaged if you use the wrong stuff.

IPA will NOT properly clean the residue from MDF, you need to use the solvent that the material is based on (in the case of MDF the glue is water based so use water to clean it etc)

cheers

Dave

David Somers
10-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Graham,

You just burst my joyous bubble when you asked if IPA was Isopropyl Alcohol. I was all set to tell my wife I needed to stock up big time on India Pale Ale.
For those stubborn stains I was gonna fill a kegerator with a nice Porter, and perhaps some Guiness in a second one for those really stubborn times! Oh the good times I would have had in the shop!!!

Sigh.

Dave Sheldrake
10-22-2014, 10:34 AM
For plastics use a solvent such as IPA - i assume IPA stand for Isopropyl Alcohol.
For MDF or LaserPLY use de-ionised water.

Is it all 'created equal' and can be bought from eBay or do you have a prefered supplier (if you tell him that you are recomending him he may give you a discount on the stuff you buy)?

Yup Isopropyl alcohol I get mine in 205 litre drums from a chemical supplier but most of the IPA you will find on ebay is the same stuff, don't keep too much of it around unless you have the facilities and inspections done, it burns...it REALLY burns! think "Fuel Air Explosion" when it goes wrong.

For bed cleaning I use Acetone or Ammonia (careful with both, Acetone dissolves lung tissue and Ammonia is a precursor chemical for crack cocaine manufacture so may raise interest from the authorities) if the bed is really bad with plastics residue, if it's MDF smut or ply then a jet wash (Cheapo karcher) and some limonine based cleaner will remove pretty much anything (without killing you in the process).

Try to store the various cleaners well apart from each other, there are some commonly available household items that can do a pretty good job of relocating your house if they get mixed :(

cheers

Dave

David Somers
10-22-2014, 11:49 AM
Dave,

Limonine? Is that a UK name for an orange cleaner or am I mixing my products up? Orange cleaners are usually Terpene based if we are talking about the same things?

In looking this up I stumbled across a facebook listing for someone named Nerst Limonene. With apologies to Nerst, that name gave me a quick giggle. Wonder if he or she is related to the author Lemony Snickets? I am easily amused by the way. <grin>

Dave

Dave Sheldrake
10-22-2014, 2:21 PM
It's a non toxic component of many cleaners brother :) mainly citric acid as a base with some other additives.

cheers

Dave