PDA

View Full Version : Right angle drill/driver,is it a good buy?

ken masoumi
10-19-2014, 4:42 PM
I have thought of buying a right angle drill/driver a few times in the past (when I thought it would be the right tool for the job) but never bought one since I always found a way around it to do the task ,Today I got stock putting pocket screws in a tight space so again I thought it would be great to have one of these right angle drills.

I was wondering what's your opinion on owning this tool,do you find it a "non essential" tool in your shop (if you own one) or is it something you don't regret having it around.

John A langley
10-19-2014, 4:53 PM
I have 3 right angle drills. When I need them they paid for them selves ,The rest of the time they collect dust I would not be without one.

ian maybury
10-19-2014, 5:13 PM
They seem to be the sort of tool that when you need it you need it.

The add on variety seem a bit compromised though compared to using a normal power driver. I have this Famag which is well made - cheaper ones can be prone to breakage: http://www.famag.com/en/news/2013/09_26.aspx Invonveniences include that the screwdriver bit is not well retained in the hex socket in the drive output - with the result that it easily pops out to fall where its hard to recover. Also that in a tight space it's often not possible possible to apply a lot of force to seat the tip of the bit in the screw, with the result that it's awkward to drive tight screws in awkward places. The final issue is that since the gerbox assembly flops about on the spindle it has to be oriented vertically above the screw in use.

It seems likely that the type that mounts rigidly on the housing of a drill/driver, or a purpose made permanent right angle driver might be a bit easier to use - but more expensive and perhaps less compact: http://toolguyd.com/makita-12v-right-angle-drill/ ...

Bruce Page
10-19-2014, 5:45 PM
I bought a right angle attachment from HF. It certainly is not as good as a dedicated RA but has worked well the few times that I've needed it.

Dave Zellers
10-19-2014, 6:08 PM
I have 2 and consider them essential. I often find a right angle drill more comfortable to use even when it it not necessary.

I have the old Makita 9.6V right angle drill and the Makita corded right angle drill which is crazy powerful considering it's size.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-DA3010F-8-Inch-Right-Angle/dp/B0000789HO/

Peter Quinn
10-19-2014, 6:15 PM
Its not the drill I use the most but I wouldn't be without one, because sometimes its the only thing that fits. Presently I have a milwakee M12 version, came free with the bundle I got last winter, 2 batteries, a drill driver, and any of a variety of M12 accessories. I chose the right angle....really sweet little drill, tons of power in these latest round of L-ion 12V tools. I also have one of those right angle attachments......painful but effective.

Dave Zellers
10-19-2014, 6:17 PM
I also have one of those right angle attachments......painful but effective.
Yeah- I have this little doobie- http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-32-2100-OFF-SET-Power-Screwdriver/dp/B0000224AW/

Sometimes it is a life saver.

Lee Schierer
10-19-2014, 6:26 PM
I have a 14V Dewalt right angle cordless drill. I use it a few times each year. It came as part of the set I purchased. It is handy when you need it, but is more difficult to control than the regular cordless drill. It still requires a pretty big space to get into, just not as much as a regular drill.

Jim Becker
10-19-2014, 6:35 PM
While I don't have a dedicated tool, I do have the right-angle head for my Festool drill/driver...and yes, there are "just those times" when having the right-angle capability comes in handy, especially in close quarters during a build or during an installation of something built-in. So if you have a "deal" available to you, it could be something nice to add to your arsenal.

John McClanahan
10-19-2014, 7:16 PM
I have the 19.2 volt Craftsman drill. It takes 2 hands to tighten the chuck and its hard to get tight. The battery can get in the way when in tight places. If I had it to do over, I would get one of the corded models that isn't quite a right angle with a keyed chuck.

John

Scott T Smith
10-19-2014, 7:35 PM
I have 3 right angle drills. When I need them they paid for them selves ,The rest of the time they collect dust I would not be without one.

^^^ This (although I only have two drills). The Festool system is great (drill, with right angle adapter as well as a driver that goes tight into corners).

ken masoumi
10-19-2014, 7:39 PM
Thank you,it seems to me this tool is the type that could sit in it's box for a long time unused but when you need it you really need it ,I don't have many tools like that ,maybe my biscuit jointer but at any rate,I am thinking I'll use it often enough to justify the cost so I am now looking at
Milwaukee 2415-20 works with M12 battery pack (http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Tool-Milwaukee-2415-20-12-Volt-Cordless/dp/B002SQK996/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t) since I have the batteries and it has good reviews and it's not that expensive,this is the one I'll be buying,the Makita is also a good alternative.
Thank you all for your comments.

glenn bradley
10-19-2014, 8:12 PM
I do have a dedicated right angle drill motor but, find that I use this more (http://www.milescraft.com/products/drilling/confined-spaces-drilling/1302-drive90) often. The BORG's around me carry them but, they are also available at the usual specialty shops. It has served me for drilling and driving in tight spots.

Dan Rude
10-19-2014, 11:16 PM
I do have a dedicated right angle drill motor but, find that I use this more (http://www.milescraft.com/products/drilling/confined-spaces-drilling/1302-drive90) often. The BORG's around me carry them but, they are also available at the usual specialty shops. It has served me for drilling and driving in tight spots.

I have the M12 right angle and a big corded Milwaukee. Foe the longest time I used the corded Milwaukee cabinet close quarter drill. The new one is not getting great reviews though. I used it a lot and it was a good compromise. It could not handle the big bits I was using in a remodel. They now have impact right angle tools, you might want to consider. Dan

Bill Ryall
10-20-2014, 8:51 AM
I have the Bosch PS11-2A swiveling head 12V 1/4" driver. A lifesaver for installing the technical cabinetry I build. I also have a Milwaukee 3/8" corded close quarters corded drill 0370-20, and the big Milwaukee 1/2" corded 3102-6 right angle drill.

The Bosch I use all the time. The others collect dust a lot of the time, but are absolutely invaluable for what they are used for. I wouldn't give any up willingly.

Prashun Patel
10-20-2014, 9:24 AM
I think it's unnecessary. In fact, washerhead pocket screws are easy to overdrive, so unless your angle drill has a clutch, I'd be leery of driving with it.

Rather, for drilling/driving in tight spaces, I think an impact driver is a better investment.

For SANDING irregular surfaces, like on the lathe, I think a right angle drill is indispensible.

Joe Bradshaw
10-20-2014, 9:36 AM
I have five of them. I use them mostly for sanding on my lathe. One is my go to drill and the others are backups in case the go to fails. It's a HF model that I have been using for about six years now. I have used it pretty heavily in that period of time. I think that it is afraid to break, since I have replacements on hand. With HF coupons and their frequent sales, you would not be out a lot of money to have one "just in case".

Frank Drew
10-20-2014, 10:03 AM
There are times when there's no other practical way to drill in a confined space. They're like faucet wrenches, or, heck, a set of jumper cables -- when you need one nothing else will do.

Milwaukee made some that weren't true right angles (more like 135º), so less useful, IMO, since they couldn't get into as tight a space.

Andrew Pitonyak
10-20-2014, 11:00 AM
I have an attachment, I use it sometimes. I think that a dedicated unit is likely to work better (meaning it will have a smaller profile to get into smaller spaces). I also have a flexible shaft that I can attach to my drill bit. It cannot handle as much torque, but I have used it to good effect, even if it is not trivial to accomplish (I think it is met for lower torque applications).

Ken Fitzgerald
10-20-2014, 12:30 PM
I have the Milwaukee 2415-20 pointed out by Ken M. It works great! I have struggled in the past when I needed one. I finally broke down and bought one. It's essential.

ken masoumi
10-20-2014, 3:43 PM
I have the Milwaukee 2415-20 pointed out by Ken M. It works great! I have struggled in the past when I needed one. I finally broke down and bought one. It's essential.
I'm sure I would not regret owning one ,Yesterday I used a 1/4" ratchet with a Robertson bit to pocket screw in the 4 aprons (in a small stool) ,it did the job but was not the right tool for it.

roger wiegand
10-21-2014, 9:57 AM
More of a 45 degree than right angle, but I use the Milwaukee close quarter drill quite a bit. Bought it for disk sanding on the lathe but find it pretty handy in, well, close quarters. If I didn't have it I'd want a right angle drill.