PDA

View Full Version : 6mm Baltic Ply and 2mm MDF - Settings for 35 Watt Laser

Allan Wright
10-19-2014, 9:26 AM
I just replaced the tube in my laser. Metered power at the work surface is 30 watts, so the repairman estimates I got a full 35-watt tube (counting loss from the lenses, mirrors, etc.)

I'm now in the process of re-adjusting all my settings. My tech recommended a very low frequency for cutting 6mm Arctic birch plywood. The manual suggests full 5000 hertz. I'd like to minimize the darkening of the edges of the cuts. I'm getting a chocolate brown now, which is acceptable, and possibly as good as it will get, but I'm looking for advice from others who have working settings and cut a lot of arctic birch ply.

I also just got a large shipment of 2mm MDF from England. I haven't started to dial in settings for that material. Any advice there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Oh, If you're in the Mass/NH area I highly recommend Mike Boyd (mpboyd@verizondotnet) as a local tech. He helped me diagnose a power supply problem which I fixed myself, then once that was fixed he replaced my tube (which the blown power supply took out) quickly and was very professional. He even was willing to do the work during the evening since my laser is a hobby business so I couldn't be there during normal working hours. Great guy.

Scott Shepherd
10-19-2014, 10:03 AM
My tech recommended a very low frequency for cutting 6mm Arctic birch plywood. The manual suggests full 5000 hertz. I'd like to minimize the darkening of the edges of the cuts. I'm getting a chocolate brown now, which is acceptable, and possibly as good as it will get, but I'm looking for advice from others who have working settings and cut a lot of arctic birch ply.

Your tech is right. Lower the frequency and it should do better.

Allan Wright
10-20-2014, 11:28 PM
Your tech is right. Lower the frequency and it should do better.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep working it down.