PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Colt Plunger Fit Help!

Derek Arita
10-18-2014, 4:25 PM
Just bought a new Colt along with the plunge accessory. I slide the Colt into the plunger, making sure that the pin is in proper alignment. As I try the slide the Colt body into the plunger, the fit becomes very, very tight. I tried sanding off the inside of plunger to smooth out any remaining burrs, but the fit is still very tight. I can get it down to the proper depth of fit, however removing the Colt has to be done with some taps from a rubber mallet.
Is this normal or should I exchange the plunger?
Secondly, I bought the round base plate for the plunger that will accept PC guide bushings. Thing is, the plate is about 1/4" smaller diameter than the base of the plunger. Did I get the wrong plate or is this normal?

Peter Quinn
10-18-2014, 4:39 PM
If the plunge base doesn't fit I'd consider returning it for an exchange, mine slides on effortlessly and snugs up nicely. I don't think the round accessory plate is for the plunge base, I think its for the regular fixed base to give it a larger foot print. The plunge base uses bosch's own system of collar guides, and that has a guide capable of accepting PC guide bushings, or you can use the bosch versions if you get the kit.

You need this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1126-Change-Template-Adapter/dp/B005HPUP80/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413664536&sr=8-2&keywords=bosch+guide+bushing

and this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1100-Threaded-Template-Adapter/dp/B0009H5INI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1413664635&sr=8-3&keywords=bosch+guide+bushing

or these: http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1125-7-Piece-Router-Template/dp/B000063XTX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413664684&sr=8-1&keywords=bosch+guide+bushing

Jamie Buxton
10-18-2014, 8:11 PM
The plunge base clenches around the motor housing with an over-center clamp. IIRC, you can adjust how tight it is by backing off a screw or tightening it. Back it off a bit, and the motor should be able to slide into the base easily, no sanding required.

Derek Arita
10-18-2014, 9:01 PM
The plunge base clenches around the motor housing with an over-center clamp. IIRC, you can adjust how tight it is by backing off a screw or tightening it. Back it off a bit, and the motor should be able to slide into the base easily, no sanding required.

Yeah...that's the first thing I tried. Turned out, the clamp was flopping loose and nowhere near causing any added pressure. Seems like I either got an oversized Colt body or a undersized plunger. At any rate, I ordered another plunger so we'll see. If it fits the same, next I'll try another Colt. All the other housings that came with the Colt kit, fit exactly the way they should, so I'm suspecting the plunger, but we'll see.

lowell holmes
10-18-2014, 11:55 PM
I use the Pat Warner base on my Colt with the plunge base. I'm extremely satisfied with it.

Derek Arita
10-19-2014, 1:18 AM
Got a link?

lowell holmes
10-19-2014, 8:04 AM
http://www.patwarner.com/

Pat follows this forum. I'm sure he will be glad to help.

Derek Arita
10-19-2014, 9:34 AM
Is there a sub base for the Bosch plung that accepts PC Guides and is the proper diameter for the plunge?

lowell holmes
10-19-2014, 9:45 AM
I do not understand your question. I have a Pat Warner base that accepts the PC guides on my plunge base. It is the only one I use.

Pat developed the base when I ask him for one to fit the plunge mechanism. I think it is part of the product line. Contact Pat by email.

He is good about responding to questions.

Derek Arita
10-19-2014, 10:21 AM
I do not understand your question. I have a Pat Warner base that accepts the PC guides on my plunge base. It is the only one I use.

Pat developed the base when I ask him for one to fit the plunge mechanism. I think it is part of the product line. Contact Pat by email.

He is good about responding to questions.
Sorry. I meant is there a Bosch Plunger sub base that excepts PC guides that is the proper diameter for the plunge base? The sub base that I purchased fits, but is a smaller diameter than it should be.

lowell holmes
10-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Are you talking about the outside diameter or the hole the guide fits into. The base I bought from Pat fits both.
The outside diameter fits the outside diameter of the plunge base. It is 5 3/4" O.D.

Pat specifically designed this base for me. It is the first one he sold for the Colt Plunge base.

The hole for the guides fits exactly the PC guides I have.

Derek Arita
10-19-2014, 1:21 PM
I see what you're saying. The Bosch/PC guide base plate that I bought is less than 5 3/4". I'll have to get the one that you have. Thanks. Sorry for the confusion only part.

lowell holmes
10-19-2014, 2:26 PM
Great!

Sometimes I'm a little dense.

You will enjoy dealing with Pat.

Peter Quinn
10-19-2014, 6:20 PM
Sorry. I meant is there a Bosch Plunger sub base that excepts PC guides that is the proper diameter for the plunge base? The sub base that I purchased fits, but is a smaller diameter than it should be.

The round bosch colt sub base is not for the plunge base, its for the regular square base. So no..there is no bosch factory options that fits the plunge base and takes regular Pc guide bushings as delivered. You are forced to buy their guide bushing system, or go after market, or fabricate one.