PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Cherry Rocker

scott opus
07-12-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm getting a new brazilian cherry rocker and want to know the best thing to put on it to keep the amazing color of the wood. They suggest using BLO or Teak oil. Can anyone make a suggestion of which one and type to use.

Thank you,

Scott
http://www.tyndallcreek.com/images/finish_detail.jpg

Don Baer
07-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Scott;
The only time I used tead oil was on teak and I just started using BLO. I noticed on the red oak that the BLO did make some of the Red in the OAK stand out. On the other hand, the teak oil did seem to enhance the red in the teak when I used it. I'd try a sample on each on the underside of the piece but I personaly think the teak oil will win.

scott opus
07-14-2005, 8:30 AM
I'm planning on putting them together tonight. The wood looks dull and really dry. I can't wait to put some oil on them to bring out the wood grain and color. From what I've read around here and the internet, I think I'm going to go with teak oil over BLO since teak oil has better UV protections and other additives. Does anyone know what brands or Teak oil Lowes or Home Depot have?

Thank you in advance,

Scott

Bob Winkler
07-14-2005, 8:41 AM
I'm not sure if you are using these inside or outside (UV pototection?). I've used Penofin Hardwood oil on outdoor teak furniture and have been very impressed on the protection and depth of grain. It's great, but expensive, stuff. I paid $40 for a gallon at a local building supply company.

When I rebuild my outdoor decking with mahogany, I plan on using this.

Bob

Mark Patoka
07-14-2005, 8:45 AM
I believe I saw Watco Teak Oil at Lowes or HD recently.

scott opus
07-14-2005, 9:23 AM
I just called a local lumber supply carries Penofin Exotic Hardwood Finish. I don't mind the price since I bought the rockers for the wood grain and color. I am planning on using these outside during the spring, summer, and fall months.

scott opus
07-14-2005, 9:31 AM
I just called both Lowes and HD to find out they both sell Watco teak oil. So your right on both places, Mark.

Thanks,

Scott

scott opus
07-14-2005, 9:40 AM
Sorry about all the questions, but when I was reading about the Penofin hardwook finish it says-

Penofin Finish for Hardwood is used for all fine hardwoods such as ipe, Pau Lope®, Ironwood™, mahogany, and teak.

Can anyone tell me what ipe means?

Thank you,

Scott

Bob Winkler
07-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Ipe is a dense, exotic hardwood used in outdoor applications. The Atlantic City boardwalk was built many years ago with Ipe (or one of its' cousins). It can be left to weather (silver), or kept dark with oil (like Penofin).

Others on this forum have used it often. There is lots of info on the web.

Bob

scott opus
07-14-2005, 11:20 AM
I got a gallon of the Penofin Finish for Hardwood and will be appling it tonight to the rockers. It only cost $36.99 which I thought was a pretty good price. Thanks to everyone for their respones!

Scott

Bob Winkler
07-14-2005, 1:47 PM
Too bad you don't live in CT. (or maybe you do). My gallon will last a couple of years and I'll probably ending up throwing it out before I use it all up. You could have tried some of mine.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

Bob

I got a gallon of the Penofin Finish for Hardwood and will be appling it tonight to the rockers. It only cost $36.99 which I thought was a pretty good price. Thanks to everyone for their respones!

Scott

scott opus
07-14-2005, 9:30 PM
Thanks for the offer Bob. I've already bought it and I'm in Delaware. I know what you mean about having enough for years. It took about a 1 cup to do the first coat on the first rocker. I'm going to do the second one tomorrow. The Penofin Hardwood finish went on so easy. It really brought out the color. Hears a picture of one with the Penofin finish and one virgin rocker.
http://www.dcshomeworks.com/scott/finished_rocker.jpghttp://www.dcshomeworks.com/scott/rocker.jpg

John Hart
07-15-2005, 5:45 AM
Wow Scott...that turned out pretty nice! I make a lot of clocks out of brazillian cherry. I might have to try that finish as well. Thanks for taking the plunge for me!!:D BTW...How's the "feel" of it?

Jim Becker
07-15-2005, 8:22 AM
Do keep in mind that even with UV protection in your finish, your wood will still grey over time. It's a natural process and you cannot stop it.

Beautiful rocker, by the way.

scott opus
07-15-2005, 7:01 PM
John,

I've wiped it off 30 minutes after I applied it. I wiped it down again today before I sat on it. I compared the feel between the unfinished and the finished one. The finish feel just a little smoother but not oily at all.

Jim,

I'm going to re-apply again in 3 month per instructions. I know I can't stop UV damage but I going to fight it all the way. When it does turn grey, I clean it the re-finish it.

Thanks for all the infomation and tips!

Mark Singer
07-15-2005, 7:43 PM
I got tired of trying to keep the teak furniture nice ....I just let Mother Nature do her thing....she seems to get her way sooner or latter

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2005, 7:56 PM
Scott....I like those rockers and the finish!

Joe Kelly
07-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Scott, that is beautiful. I have just made a purchase of a lathe and I am looking forward, by 2010, to be able to do something like this,

Right now I have another problem. My wife has two Red Oak rocking chairs on our front porch and they look awful. I know that they were origionally finished with Polyurethane. The look like they have exposed to all types of elements available.

Obviously she wants them refinished. I don't know where to go from here.

They will remain on the proch and continue to be exposed to the elements. I thought I would use Tung Oil or Linseed Oil but some of my other friends suggested that I use Marine Spar Varnish.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Joe Kelly
jhdk@cox.net

scott opus
07-17-2005, 10:41 PM
Joe,

I bought these rockers unfinished. I wanted to get some real people advise about what to use to finish these rockers.

I would start a new thread about refinishing your red oak rockers.
Scott