PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-525 lathe - possible to add reverse?

Wes Ramsey
10-17-2014, 3:11 PM
Hi all!

I haven't posted here in some time, but I'm a frequent lurker :) I have a 'newer' Delta 46-525 lathe with a reeves drive. I'm thinking about building an outboard tool rest stand and would like the ability to reverse direction on the lathe. Does anyone know if Delta offers a kit for this or if there's a way to add an aftermarket reverse switch?

One other question. The main shaft has a slight wobble in it. Not a big deal for turning bowls and hollow forms, but smaller items like pens you can feel the oval where it overlaps the pen kit. Can a machine shop straighten it out or should I start searching for a suitable replacement?

Thanks in advance!

John Lifer
10-19-2014, 8:21 AM
no easy way to reverse unless you add 3 phase and VFD which allows for easy reversal. Sounds like you have bent shaft, I'd take apart to verify. Should be able to find used one if it is bent

Bob Bergstrom
10-19-2014, 8:49 AM
Google reversing AC motors. You just need a double pole, double throw switch. A drum switch will also work. It is a matter of having the switch change the leads in the motor windings.