PDA

View Full Version : Kapex dado

Ralph Butts
10-17-2014, 1:02 PM
So I have a Kapex that I purchased used about a year ago. I used it as a quick means to create some stub tenons. No tool change over and minimal setup. I noticed a rather inconsistent result on the tenon thickness. I had to readjust the depth stop a couple of times. Is this normal behavior? I expected the depth to remain constant once set.

Harvey Miller
10-17-2014, 9:02 PM
If you don't get an answer here, you should take your question to the Festool owner's group forum.

Peter Quinn
10-17-2014, 9:54 PM
Kapex or not, any overarm saw, and particularly SCMS are subject to potential variations in tenon thickness by the nature of the cut for a variety of reasons. One is stock accuracy. If the stock is not 100% accurately milled the tenons will vary based on the fact that your distance from reference face to cutter varies. To make a tenon you have to cut half from each face, thus you have two reference faces so the difference in stock thickness from test or setup piece to actual piece gets added or subtracted from the original. With a cope and stick set up you run all the parts from a single reference face, so all inaccuracy gets pushed to one face, tenons remain constant. Cutting TS tenons in two passes with a dado are subject to the same problem.

Second issue is deflection. Not so much a problem with a good RAS, but ALL SCMS's deflect, even those that cost $1300 new. Ive used the Kapex extensively in a professional environment, its got some good features, but its not much better than average in performance regarding blade and arm deflection IME, its the nature of the tool based on its portability. Give it enough stiffness to make it truly rigid...no longer portable. So push a little harder on the down stroke, tenon gets thinner. I don't find the SCMS a good choice for joinery quality tenons for those reasons.

Keith Hankins
10-18-2014, 8:54 AM
One thing I'd check is to make sure the depth lock is fully engaged after you set the dept of cut. If it's not, it can slip. You have a very long warantee with Festool. Call them and they will diagnose and make it right. Best Company I ever dealt with.

mreza Salav
10-18-2014, 10:19 AM
Peter said it correctly.

glenn bradley
10-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Peter said it correctly.

+1 Is the cut a consistent depth when using the same side of a well milled test board for multiple cuts? If so the variation is not the saw. I do not own a Festool, I do not even have a RAS or SCMS, this is just the way it is wuth reference surfaces ;-)