PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic table insert doesn't fit

CHARLESF JONES
10-16-2014, 6:18 PM
Has anyone had this problem: After a few years, all of a sudden, the table insert for my Powermatic 66 table saw no longer fits. It is too snug to slip in. I bought a new one from Amazon and I have the same problem with it. It doesn't fit.

Has this happened to anyone else?

roger wiegand
10-17-2014, 1:16 PM
Sorry, no. Hard to imagine how that could happen. The one that came with my saw seemed to be some kind of pot metal, which can expand over time. A minute with a belt sander would fix if if that were the case. I haven't tried the original for many years as I use homemade zero clearance inserts almost exclusively.

Wayne Jolly
10-17-2014, 5:21 PM
Have you cleaned the area it fits into? Maybe there is some goop built up.

Wayne

Lou Petrosino
10-17-2014, 8:14 PM
Yes it happened to me and I finally got frustrated and took some 80 grit and made short work of making it fit again. I bought the saw in '99 and have been using my own shop made inserts but when I need angled cuts I pull out the stock one. Guess the cast iron may have swollen?

william watts
10-18-2014, 12:53 AM
I have not seen a Powermatic inset, but looking at the insert on my saw, if it was dished across its width the edge of the insert casting could be forced out wider. I have just beat it back flat when it gets bent out of shape. My saw is craftsmen. The same condition might apply.