View Full Version : engraving baltic birch

tony mazzone
10-16-2014, 3:06 PM

Can anyone give me some tips on laser engraving Baltic birch plywood. I tried cutting out and engraving personalized Christmas cards. It doesn't engrave dark enough and I can't color fill unless its finished. I tried spraying 3 coats of polyurethane, engraving and color filling. It bleeds into the letters and doesn't totally wipe off the finished part. I've seen signs on eBay that look good so obviously I'm doing something wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.


Ross Moshinsky
10-16-2014, 3:17 PM
1. Increase the power.
2. Slow the machine down.
3. Increase the DPI.
4. Take the laser out of focus.

As for paint fill. Seal the wood(optional). Transfer tape. Engrave. Seal (Shellac is good and fast drying). Paint.

David Somers
10-16-2014, 3:40 PM

If you don't mind, you will help folks answer your questions if your laser make and power are listed in your signature, and if your location includes at least the state or country you are in, and perhaps the town. You can get into both settings from within your profile in Sawmill.

tony mazzone
10-16-2014, 4:30 PM
Hi David,

Its not letting me make any updates in settings on my phone. I'll try to update it on my computer when I get home. In the meantime I have an epilog 24tt 45 watt laser and am just outside of Philly Pa


Michael Hunter
10-16-2014, 6:34 PM
Baltic birch ply is rather variable - some has enough resin in it to burn dark easily, others pieces not.
You will normally get a good dark mark if you get down to the first glue layer.

Slow speed and lower power can help - burns the wood rather than vapourising it.

For colour fill, use a stencil paint (sold in good house decorating stores) or even wax shoe polish - these won't bleed into the grain.

(Been doing birch tags all week - fed up with the stuff!)

Tim Bateson
10-16-2014, 7:36 PM
A machine brand & wattage would help. On my machine - I lower the table out of focus by 10 clicks. Works 90% of the time. The other 10% will never darken - some wood is just that way.

tony mazzone
10-16-2014, 8:25 PM
Thanks for the tips guys