PDA

View Full Version : Braille Balls

Wayne Webb
10-16-2014, 1:12 PM
I'm still working on getting the translator software going and I've contacted the Corian company about material but, in the mean time, where is the best place to purchase the braille balls?
Thanks

Scott Shepherd
10-16-2014, 5:51 PM
Oddly enough, http://brailleballs.com

Joe Pelonio
10-16-2014, 8:19 PM
I get them from McMaster-Carr.

Wayne Webb
10-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks!
What about a little bit to drill the holes? I'm using a Porter Cable 3.25 hp router mounted on a Shopbot CNC.

Scott Shepherd
10-17-2014, 3:49 PM
Thanks!
What about a little bit to drill the holes? I'm using a Porter Cable 3.25 hp router mounted on a Shopbot CNC.

We get the bits from the same place we buy the balls. You might have an issue with what you are trying to do. You need to check the runout in the spindle on the porter cable router. If you have a lot of run out, it's going to drill an oversize hole and the balls will fall in and out. Just something to be aware of before you get too deep into it. It might be just fine, but it's something to lookout for.

Wayne Webb
10-17-2014, 6:16 PM
Yeah, I'm concerned about that. The rep from the ball company said they would send me some samples to try with the bit/s to see how it goes.
Thanks Scott!

Wayne Webb
10-17-2014, 6:17 PM
Or....maybe this would be a great excuse to acquire another toy....like an engraver... :)

Paul Phillips
10-23-2014, 4:23 PM
Wayne, if you are going to do it in any serious volume you will need an engraver and a Braille Raster pen from Accent Signage Systems. The pen is expensive but well worth it if you do Braille all day long like my shop, I can easily do 100 beads in 60 seconds!