PDA

View Full Version : Digital Proof or Disclaimer

Michael Vasiloff
10-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Hello all...
I am fairly new to the forum and still getting into laser engraving as a business. I have now had about a year to get familiar with the laser, have done countless projects and attended workshops to hone my skills. The next step is to start offering some standard etching/engraving services. I am wondering what everyone does in terms of getting the customer to sign off on a design/concept?
I am trying to come up with a document that will free me from liability by ensuring the customer has proofed the work (spelling, placement, size, etc) before I start the job. I have a couple customers from other areas of the business that are inquiring about larger runs, such as putting a logo on their merchandise for sale, and I dont want to be liable if they sent a typo or the like.

Are there any resources to get stock agreements, or get ideas on how to price a job?

I appreciate all of your help, and have really enjoyed reading some of the posts in this forum. Definitely one of the best resources I have come across so far.

Respectfully...
Mike

Tim Bateson
10-16-2014, 11:16 AM
You may be over-thinking this. I usually get a verbal or email if any at all. Most customers will tell me to use my own best judgement.

Kevin Gregerson
10-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Hello all...
I am fairly new to the forum and still getting into laser engraving as a business. I have now had about a year to get familiar with the laser, have done countless projects and attended workshops to hone my skills. The next step is to start offering some standard etching/engraving services. I am wondering what everyone does in terms of getting the customer to sign off on a design/concept?
I am trying to come up with a document that will free me from liability by ensuring the customer has proofed the work (spelling, placement, size, etc) before I start the job. I have a couple customers from other areas of the business that are inquiring about larger runs, such as putting a logo on their merchandise for sale, and I dont want to be liable if they sent a typo or the like.

Are there any resources to get stock agreements, or get ideas on how to price a job?

I appreciate all of your help, and have really enjoyed reading some of the posts in this forum. Definitely one of the best resources I have come across so far.

Respectfully...
Mike

Fact is that you will run into this time and time again with different customers and you simply just learn to stop doing business with them. This is why I'm a fan of a prototype first then make them sign off on it before you begin production. It costs a bit more this way, but it's worth your time to do it this way.

Martin Boekers
10-16-2014, 1:13 PM
There should be stock agreement there if you google it. ASI (promotional Products it's a given to sign off on art approval as you may be ordering 1000's of items at a time)

If it's an expensive, custom job consider requiring payment with art approval that way you're covered.

Ross Moshinsky
10-16-2014, 2:23 PM
We're low tech on this. Attach the PDF to an email. In the body of the email we ask the customer to review the proof and give an approval. You can use whatever verbage you want in the email. Typically the trick is to mention additional charges for any changes made after approval. Makes people look over things twice. Again, that's typically.

A few weeks ago we did a bunch of plaques where they spelt the reverend's name incorrectly each time. Lucky for them, I caught the error and fixed it for them before it went into production. I'll also say, sometimes that's not a good idea. I've "fixed" things that didn't need fixing.

Kev Williams
10-16-2014, 4:08 PM
To echo those above:

Do whatever is needed as a "proof".

Email it to the customer.

An email back that says "go" is all the evidence you'll ever need.

(Just be sure to read all the OTHER words besides "go") ;)

Michael Vasiloff
10-17-2014, 3:57 PM
Thanks for all the info! Some of the items I will be doing are $500-$1000 and up, and a couple dozen at a time. Just trying to cover all bases.

Mike Chance in Iowa
10-17-2014, 5:51 PM
I use email proof and either send them a PDF or JPG for them to view. It's so much easier to send them a screen shot or export the image to a file and send it to them. Then they know EXACTLY what I am looking at and if I understood their custom order correct.

As far as correcting someone's error. I always notify the customer before I make the change and obtain their approval. Most of the time they thank me profusely for catching their error. A few times over the years, it totally surprised me because they really did want it like that even though it looked odd.

Mike Null
10-17-2014, 7:10 PM
It's not a big deal. just use common sense and send a photo or pdf proof and you'll be ok. I'm in my 18th year and have yet to have a customer issue with this. Stay away from legal mumbo jumbo.

Joe Pelonio
10-17-2014, 9:29 PM
For expensive items and personalizing customer materials/objects I send a proof with a quote by email, they OK it and that's it. Most of my work I large quantity production jobs and for those I charge them for samples for their approval at a higher price then give the quantity discount if they order them