PDA

View Full Version : How do I mount a rock to a wood plaque?

Bill Stearns
10-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Morning All -
A customer came in, yesterday, with a fairly heavy "stone", or rock. Kind' a oval shaped - overall dimensions 'bout 3" high x 6" length. She plans to attach this stone to a plaque; I sold her an 8 x 10 solid Walnut plaque for the purpose. (Then, I engraved a name plate to be placed below the stone, once it's mounted.) She didn't ask me for ideas as to how she might attach this stone. (I didn't want' a risk it, 'cause it obviously has important significance.) I'd like to call her 'n suggest experienced methods of attaching or mounting stone to a plaque. Anybody?

Thanks in advance ....
Bill

Kevin Gregerson
10-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Sounds like you are just looking for an excuse to talk to her. :P

In all reality, it depends on how permanent she wants it stuck to the piece of wood. There is an entire section of adhesives at your local hardware store covering this.

Mel Fulks
10-16-2014, 11:19 AM
My son gave me an ornamental natural mineral,looks like a gold disk stuck on black slate. I wrapped and twisted some fine wire around it so that it could be hung on the wall. That works because you don't have to get close to see it. If the
client's project is something that needs to be read ,therefore requiring close viewing, look for reversible glue.

Bruce Page
10-16-2014, 11:38 AM
How about fancy brass fingers similar to how a stone is mounted in a finger ring?

Bert Kemp
10-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Gorilla Glue:D

Jeff Belany
10-16-2014, 12:10 PM
If this is meant to be permanent, you could drill a hole in the back of the stone for a lead anchor and fasten with a countersunk bolt from the back. I mounted some steel rebar to a plaque like this recently.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Martin Boekers
10-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Depending upon the size of the rock, you could attach a shelf to help support the rock. Esp if it's hanging vertical.

Bill Stearns
10-16-2014, 1:01 PM
GUYS -
Thanks for all your ideas 'bout mounting that rock to a plaque; I'll pass 'em long to that customer. I am thinking the right construction adhesive would be her first choice, as I'm sure it is meant to be a permanent attachment. (if it were something I was doing, think I'd use the drilling & bolt idea.) As for Gorilla Glue - tried that stuff once - got so frustrated! Then, finally read the instructions to learn I was suppose to WET the item 'fore gluing. Thanks 'gain all ... later ...

Bill

Ross Moshinsky
10-16-2014, 1:35 PM
5 minute epoxy.

Drill a hole, add a stud, drill hole in plaque, counter sink the back, use a nut to fasten everything.

Personally I'd use both.

Mayo Pardo
10-16-2014, 3:52 PM
Silicone adhesive. Let it sit flat for 24 hours before displaying vertically.

Mike Null
10-16-2014, 5:24 PM
I'd go for epoxy but I would wire it to the plaque if the customer approved. I like the idea of Ross as well.

Kev Williams
10-16-2014, 6:50 PM
Ask any boater who's used this stuff, they will tell you: If you DON'T want "permanent", then use something else! Good stuff! :cool:

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/5200.jpg

Kevin Gregerson
10-16-2014, 7:05 PM
Ask any boater who's used this stuff, they will tell you: If you DON'T want "permanent", then use something else! Good stuff! :cool:

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/5200.jpg

I second that!!!

Bill Cunningham
10-29-2014, 10:36 PM
I third it

Steven Gray
12-24-2014, 12:45 AM
I'd use Silicon Adhesive in Clear. Clear won't bleed through the stone and it is strong. I used it to hold granite countertops to kitchens, kitchen walls, etc. when I owned a granite fabrication and installation business.

Michael Kowalczyk
12-24-2014, 3:37 PM
E6000 is the best. I have mounted ceramic, slate, grout pucks, granite and many others with no problem. Just need to allow it to dry on a flat surface for at least 24 hours.