PDA

View Full Version : Another Birch burl...

Ed Davidson
07-12-2005, 7:16 PM
This little guy measures about 3" tall and 2.5" wide. The cameo on top is 45mm in diameter (an eBay snag). Burl voids are filled with blue glitter (cheap Turquoise) and thin CA.

Dick Parr
07-12-2005, 7:24 PM
Really great looking Ed, the wood is beautiful and the cameo adds the final touch.

Very nice. :)

John Hart
07-12-2005, 8:02 PM
Another beauty Ed. You made me think of something...I have a bunch of turquoise beads....Can I crush those up and use the dust the same way? Or is actual rock a bad idea?

Ed Davidson
07-12-2005, 8:24 PM
Hey John...sure, you can try crushing those beads. The problem you'll probably run into however, is the inconsistency of the results. I heard from lots of frustrated turners who have tried to crush their own stone, without the proper tools, and ended up with a big mess.

Gary Max
07-12-2005, 9:03 PM
John like Ed said---makes a mess--been there tried that---you really want very fine crushed stone-----they get big money for it---BB at Az sells it--I think it is in one oz bags. Works great on small stuff--even pens.

Keith Burns
07-12-2005, 9:39 PM
Great piece....especially considering the size. The photo makes it look bigger. Great detail and finish.

"I'm tired of being arm candy for my wife"

sascha gast
07-13-2005, 4:45 AM
that is bautyful, thanx for sharing

John Hart
07-13-2005, 5:44 AM
Hey John...sure, you can try crushing those beads. The problem you'll probably run into however, is the inconsistency of the results.....

....you really want very fine crushed stone-----they get big money for it---BB at Az sells it--I think it is in one oz bags. Works great on small stuff--even pens.

Hmmm. Well, I don't think I'll try to crush any rocks then. But I had half a thought when I woke up....I have a grinding wheel for stones so maybe if I captured the dust off of the grinding wheel, I might get better control of the stuff. Just a thought. It might be better, as you say, to just buy the stuff and be done with it...But I wonder if it's worth trying.:rolleyes: This is why I get in trouble with my time....too much stuff to try.

Ed Scolforo
07-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Ed, I like the contrast of the cameo against the lighter wood, it really sets it off. Nice work.
Ed

Ernie Nyvall
07-13-2005, 9:17 PM
Great looking box Ed. The inlay is nice.

Ernie