PDA

View Full Version : Hotel suggestions New York

Brian Deakin
10-15-2014, 4:20 PM
We are a family of 4 and will be travelling from the United kingdom to New York for an 8 day holiday starting 30th March 2015

( mom, dad ,daughter age 19 son age 15 )

Suggestions for hotel please

Happy to have one room if this reduces cost

regards Brian

curtis rosche
10-15-2014, 4:26 PM
check trivago.com hotels.com and booking.com

Rick Moyer
10-15-2014, 5:21 PM
If you are interested in looking over the World Trade Center area, the Millenium Hilton in lower Manhattan can't be beat for the views.
Get a higher floor!

Steve Wurster
10-15-2014, 7:48 PM
The St. Regis is fantastic. Expensive, but still fantastic.

Chuck Wintle
10-15-2014, 8:01 PM
have a look at tripadvisor.com for a good place to stay.

Rich Riddle
10-16-2014, 10:57 AM
What is your budget?

curtis rosche
10-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Check out those websites. you can see reviews and pictures of all the places, and compare the prices based on people and number of rooms and such

Rich Riddle
10-16-2014, 3:56 PM
Brian,

I typically don't get hotel rooms though I extensively travel. There is a site named VRBO on the net where you can find apartments and such in the city you want for less than a hotel room. The advantage is that you can purchase food and prepare it thus making the trip much less expensive. When I get sent to New York City, Brooklyn is my favorite place because of the balance and quieter environment. The apartments there on VRBO typically cost a couple hundred a day, a steal in NYC.

Kent A Bathurst
10-16-2014, 4:32 PM
We always stay here - 76th & Broadway. Been there 8 - 10 times over the years.

http://www.milburnhotel.com/

Prices are very reasonable, on the NYC scale of things. Not fancy, but a fine place to stay. Very close to subway stops on Broadway, which connects you north and south to anywhere you want to go.

Plus - a BIG plus - the rooms have "kitchenettes" in them - small fridge, small sink area, microwave, dishes and cutlery.

it is a block or two north of an excellent grocery store, and it is 2 - 3 blocks south of the legendary, iconic, Zabar's Deli.

Go to Zabars, pick up some excellent deli stuff, including a long, long counter of prepared dishes. Their bagels are the gold standard. And another long counter with maybe 10 - 15 guys slicing lox, smoked salmon, etc. A couple dozen different items. Buy a cheap kitchen knife for slicing bread and cheese when you go there. Their upstairs is a world-class store of kitchen utensils, etc.

Then, go to the grocery. Stuff goes in the fridge in the room - snacks and dinners, ready to go.

Across Broadway, there is a liquor/wine store.

Hop on the subway a few blocks away, and go to the theater district, Grand Central Station [do not - DO NOT - fail to have lunch or dinner at the Grand Central Oyster Bar - sit at the oyster counter if you can - the oyster stew is to die for], connect to everywhere.

You are 3 "long blocks" from Central Park. The East side [5th Avenue, Madison Ave, Metropolitan Museum] are on the other side of the park, so that is a cab ride for me.

For something like you are planning - family, coming to visit The Colonies, 8 days in New Amsterdam, you will love the hotel and its location. You will become "experts" in NYC living in 2 days - out the front door, right to Broadway, right to the train stop, off to see the world.

I cannot give a higher recommendation, unless you are looking for the $700 - $900 per night rooms, in which case I have a much better suggestion.

One bit of friendly advice: You are in a city. A big city. THE CITY, as most would say. Accept that for what it is. Do not - ever - stand on a street corner, looking confused, flipping the pages of your Fodor's and subway maps. Might as well wear a sign on your back that says "Kick Me."

Duck into a coffee shop, or wherever, get your bearings, and head back out happy and safe.

I'm a hick from the midwest. I "get it". Our first trip there, we were standing on a corner, flipping through the maps and tourist guides. A cop walks up and berates us: "What in the H**L are you doing? My job is hard enough. Don't do that stupid s***t out here - go in that diner, figger it out, and then start again. At least - go to the next cop's beat if you want to get mugged, OK? Sheeeesh." True story. I still laugh each time we go to NYC - wife will make a sudden turn into a coffee shop - I just wait outside for instructions, and chuckle.

The city is entirely safe - do not misunderstand me. I have no apprehensions about going anywhere, any time of day or night. Just don't act like a target.

Brian Deakin
10-16-2014, 5:00 PM
up to $400 per day

regards Brian

Kent A Bathurst
10-16-2014, 5:36 PM
up to $400 per day

regards Brian

Check out the Milford, then - you can get a very nice room, accommodations for 4, for under that.

Peter Kelly
10-18-2014, 9:27 AM
You might try the Marriott Essex House (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycex-jw-marriott-essex-house-new-york/) up on 59th Street directly across from Central Park. Rates should be within your range.