PDA

View Full Version : Workbench finally finished

James Biddle
07-12-2005, 6:26 PM
I finally finished my workbench! Well, except for the drawers I want to add later, but thats a different project. Here's some pics. Thanks for looking.

http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/workbench-finishedtopview.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/workbench-finishedsideview.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/workbench-finishedsidecornerview.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/workbench-finishedtopcornerview.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/workbench-finishedtoptwinviseview.jpg

John Cavanaugh
07-12-2005, 6:35 PM
Nice, very nice. Making me feel very guilty about not working on mine.

What kind of wood did you use??

--
John Cavanaugh

Chris Padilla
07-12-2005, 7:48 PM
James,

That is very clean...all maple? What are the top dimensions? What is the size of tail vise jaws? What is the thickness of the top?

I just picked up a Twin-Screw from Veritas...looking forward to using it someday! :)

Did you build the whole thing yourself...plans?....kit?....top?

Thanks and sorry for the barage...I'm in design/dream mode for my bench now. :)

James Biddle
07-12-2005, 8:32 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, the bench is all hard ample. It was fun trying to match up the variations. The top is 29-1/2" x 73-1/2" and the bench is 34" high. The top is 2" thick with a 5-1/2" apron. If hard maple weighs 3.6 lbs/bft (I found a source that quoted that), the bench weighs about 340 lbs. The end vise is 7-1/4 high and 1-1/2" thick. It seems thick enough, but I would make it thicker next time. It started out as 2" but I lost a lot while flattening and didn't want to start over. The Twin Screw is a really nice vise. I still may add screw supports underneath the bench, but I'll give a trial run first.

The bench is a variation of the bench by Neal Barrett that I found in Popular Mechanics online. I redesigned it to suit my needs and built it myself. There were many firsts for me on this project: hand cutting mortises, fitting tenons, large-scale glueups, flattening the top with a plane, etc. I made a spreadsheet up that I used as a guide to what needed to be done to each piece or assembly next and kept track of the mods I made.

James Biddle
07-12-2005, 8:33 PM
Excuse my typing, the bench is made of hard maple, not hard ample.

Pete Harbin
07-12-2005, 8:38 PM
Beautiful James! Looks like it's ready for a long stretch of duty, and the maple looks great!

Pete

John Renzetti
07-12-2005, 8:40 PM
Hi James, Very nice work. How do you like the Veritas twin screw vise, both the installation and now the use of it.
take care,
John

James Biddle
07-12-2005, 9:13 PM
Hi James, Very nice work. How do you like the Veritas twin screw vise, both the installation and now the use of it.
take care,
John

I can't speak to the use very much yet. I do know that there is a limited amount of skew available before it will bind, but I'm assuming I won't need very much.

As for the installation, is was as easy or easier than the front vise. The instructions are very good. I opted to inset the collars into the apron, but a router made short work of that. The other thing that takes a little more care is in trimming the cover plate (I didn't have a sharp hacksaw blade on hand).

As I said, I still may add screw supports underneath the bench, but I'll give it a trial run first. The issue is that because there are no guides, there may be a little tolorance play as you extend the vise past the halfway point. I consider this a minor point since I'll rarely use the vise in this manner.

Kevin Murdock
07-12-2005, 9:41 PM
You flattened that top by hand? WOW!

It looks really good and really flat! Impressive.

What progression did you use to get the top looking that nice?

Thanks,
/Kevin

Corey Hallagan
07-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Wow, awesome looking bench! Who wouldn't want to have a bench like that in their shop? Fantastic work!

Corey

David Duke
07-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Great lookin bench, this is on my to do list someday.

Dan Forman
07-13-2005, 4:04 AM
That's a superb bench, much joy in using it.

Dan

lou sansone
07-13-2005, 6:16 AM
Really very nice bench. I have also made one, and can appreciate how well your turned out. It really is spectacular! you are a real stickler for detail.

best wishes for the new bench
lou

Kelly C. Hanna
07-13-2005, 8:15 AM
Awesome work James! I really like the bench.

Sam Blasco
07-13-2005, 9:05 AM
you are going to have some fun now. really nice job -- it's a keeper.

Tyler Howell
07-13-2005, 9:33 AM
Beautiful work! Thanks for the pix.:cool:

Mark Singer
07-13-2005, 9:47 AM
That is a great bench! Beautiful and practicle design!

Keith Hooks
07-13-2005, 10:32 AM
I really like the bench. Great job on getting the top so flat. It's going to be a joy to use, I'm sure.

John Gregory
07-13-2005, 10:41 AM
Great looking bench. I have the same twin screw vise and really like it. I need to install the rub blocks as suggested in the instructions. As you crank the jaws wider, the screws have a tendency to sag, making it more difficult to turn. I think the rub blocks will make the operation smoother.

You bench is absolutely beautiful.

Frank Pellow
07-13-2005, 10:53 AM
James, that's a very nice job that you did on the bench.

I have made some rough workbenches but never on that is nearly the quality of yours. Perhaps, I will tackle such a bench one day, and seeing yours provides incentive for me to do so.

Garry Smith
07-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Great Job, My three kids grew up working at mine. I guess it may be time to make new. Hope it turns out as nice as yours.

Garry

everett lowell
07-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Great looking bench James,it's beautiful!You must be very proud of her.I made one out of pine, so I can appreciate the work that went into it.Are those bench dogs in the legs?I'm looking for a place to put mine, cool idea!:rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
07-13-2005, 12:22 PM
James,

Could you provide some closer shots of the legs and how you attached them to the top? Much appreciated!

Oh, how did you finish the bench?

Rolf Safferthal
07-13-2005, 1:06 PM
Hello James,

congratulations! This kind of bench is what I want to build within the next months. No, not exactly the same! :) But with the Veritas twin screw vise I ordered there might come up several similarities.

I use cured European beech (I´m from Germany, maple is much too expensive compared to beech) for my bench, round dog holes (another similarity!), but four rows over the full length.

You use no tool tray? I plan for a center tool tray. A very interesting solution is that paper-"dispenser" mounted on the wall. Great idea! Have to think about something similar.

Have fun with it!

Rolf

Hank Knight
07-13-2005, 2:37 PM
James, that's really nice work. You're going to love working on it. I finished mine right after Christmas and it still feels like a new toy. I think your wide papar roll on the wall by the bench is a great idea. I've been looking for one of those old paper holders with a cutting blade to mount on my shop wall, but no luck. Your picture has convinced me to build my own rack. Thanks for the idea and the incentive.

James Biddle
07-13-2005, 3:30 PM
James,

Could you provide some closer shots of the legs and how you attached them to the top? Much appreciated!

Oh, how did you finish the bench?

Thanks again for the kind words. To answer some questions: The finish is 3 coats of Watco Natural. Here are a couple more pics:
The 3"x3" spacer is attached to the bench through slotted holes (the hole in the spacer is clearance for the screw).

http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/workbenchbackunderside.jpg

The 3-1/2 x 3-1/2 leg rail is lag bolted to the spacer.

http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/workbenchsideunderside.jpg

LOML had bought these and put them on the bench this morning. Funny.
http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddle/pics/workbenchcoasters.jpg

James Biddle
07-13-2005, 3:37 PM
Hello James,

congratulations! This kind of bench is what I want to build within the next months. No, not exactly the same! :) But with the Veritas twin screw vise I ordered there might come up several similarities.

I use cured European beech (I´m from Germany, maple is much too expensive compared to beech) for my bench, round dog holes (another similarity!), but four rows over the full length.

You use no tool tray? I plan for a center tool tray. A very interesting solution is that paper-"dispenser" mounted on the wall. Great idea! Have to think about something similar.

Have fun with it!

Rolf
Rolf,
I considered having 4 rows of holes, but I was worried about interference with some of the hardware and I didn't plan enough ahead. Also, I'm afraid I'm way too lazy and messy for a tool tray. I'm thinking of adding a small shelf on the wall behind the bench and about 1 foot higher.

BTW, I lived in Cologne and my wife in Wiesbaden a few years ago. We have fond memories of the area.

James Biddle
07-13-2005, 3:43 PM
James, that's really nice work. You're going to love working on it. I finished mine right after Christmas and it still feels like a new toy. I think your wide papar roll on the wall by the bench is a great idea. I've been looking for one of those old paper holders with a cutting blade to mount on my shop wall, but no luck. Your picture has convinced me to build my own rack. Thanks for the idea and the incentive.

Thanks. I bought the paper and metal bracket online at http://www.pospaper.com/butcher.html#e I mounted it to a piece of maple ply to insure it was attached into the studs.

Vaughn McMillan
07-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Beautiful bench, and like others have mentioned, the butcher paper roll on the wall is a great idea. It'll help keep that nice top looking nice.

- Vaughn

Roy Wall
07-13-2005, 11:15 PM
James,

Congratulations on a superb bench! Beautiful work....looks good for the long run.

As nice as it can get:) :)

Jason Tuinstra
07-14-2005, 10:16 AM
James, that turned out great! I really like the simplicity of this bench. Very clean, and very, very nice! Thanks for showing it off.