PDA

View Full Version : Drill bits

Rick Haigh
07-12-2005, 5:34 PM
I have broken enough bits from my old bit set, that I need to purchase new ones. I am curious about what quality or quantity of bits to buy. I can go to harbor freight and get a 115pc kit for $30. Can anyone tell me what the difference in bit coatings is?

Thanks,
Rick

Bob Noles
07-12-2005, 6:20 PM
Does HF really coat theirs? :)

I think I would spend a few extra $ and get some better bits. I burn one up everytime I grab the box I got from HF.

Sorry to be negative on this, but I got bit (pardon the pun) on this one :)

Don Baer
07-12-2005, 6:32 PM
I bought a set at HF and found them to be very brittle. After breaking a few of them I tossed them and bought some good ones from my local borg. Not to through cold water on the HF ones but IMHO save your money.

I realy don't need 115 bits anyhow.

Charlie Knauer
07-12-2005, 8:16 PM
Rick, I got tired of buying different sets only to find out they were junk. I happened into a Dewalt repair center one day and they had buckets of drill bits in different sizes and coatings for prices I could not beleive. These were new bits blister packed. For 20.00 I got several different types in just about full sets. Also stocked up on sawzall blades and jig saw blades. For example 1/8" bits 2 for 79 cents. 1/4" bit 59 cents. Cant beat the prices.

Charlie

Roger Bell
07-12-2005, 10:48 PM
I am a big fan of Harbor Freight. For some stuff. The regular 29 pc twist drill bits I have (2-3 sets) were disappointing. I had to return/exchange one set. Several of those were visibly crooked. Unbelievable. All are VERY brittle and easily snap. Waste wood sticks to the flutes terribly and is most annoying. But the price was cheap and they are ok enough in a pinch and are excellent as loaners.

The ones with the TN coating are definitely better and far less troublesome. Their 29 pc. standard coating brad points are fine for the price but are also brittle but less sticky.

Per Swenson
07-12-2005, 11:01 PM
I have a thing for drill bits.

What I do may sound a little nuts, but

I use bits everyday. I have a index set of cobalts,

both metric and imperial that is locked in a box next to the drill press.

Thats right locked up tight. No 15 year old son, no neighbor, no friend in need.

No one is allowed to touch it. This is also true of all of my tapered, augur,

fostner, etc. Stay away and no, sorry are heard often.

But, for the road and the masses, I buy the on sale drill bits from Irwin,

Dewalt well you can say it, CHINA. I will buy two sets at a time.

Crazy hunh? No, I do not like to spend time sharpening drill bits.

I toss em. Small drills, I have a industrial hardware store down the street.

Every 6 mos I will purchase a box of 1/8 th inch. In short I treat cheap drills

the way they were meant. Disposable.

If you want the best deal on a quality drill bit set,

Try Enco. I have no affiliation but the quality of service is wonderful.

Per

Randy Meijer
07-12-2005, 11:59 PM
I don't have an unlimited budget and must therefore economize on my tool purchases. Of all of the economy tools that I have ever purchased, drill bits are the ones that have performed least satisfactorily.......I no longer buy cheap drill bits!!!