PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Mahogany

David Ragan
10-14-2014, 3:48 PM
Hi,

I started the blanket chest that Darrell Peart has in the most recent FWW. He has been really helpful through email.

So, I had most of the panels glued up and, naturally, had to go back to the lumber yard for more mahongany. A rookie error.

Well, most of what they had, and there wasn't that much-was this type of mahogany that I can only describe as Tiger-type. Definitely different in grain appearance than the stuff I had already. I bought it anyway.

So, I made up the two ends to the chest with the Tiger stuff and brought my wife and mother in law down to the shop and asked what they thought-they said-Wow...that Tiger stuff is gorgeous, the entire chest should be made of that (and you definitely cannot mix with the regular just beautiful African Mahogan. The african mahogany I started with is identical in appearance to Darrell's on the FWW cover; the Tiger stuff is even prettier).

I go back to the Lumber yard (super nice folks), and give the whse mgr a sample piece of the Tiger wood. It is now sitting on his desk. We are waiting, as new loads of mahogany come through, for about 50 bd ft of this special stuff to come through the whse-so I can buy way more than I will ever need:).

Has anyone seen this type around? when the light hits it right, it's opposing grain structure is almost sort of red and black alternatively. Gorgeous.

I have already resigned myself that momentum on the project is gone. No way ready for Christmas. Her birthday is May 21. She will be 8.

My question is--Am I going to be waiting forever for the prized Tiger Mahogany?

Has anyone ever seen this?

thanks, David

Wade Lippman
10-14-2014, 4:17 PM
Probably something mislabeled. Canary or virola could both fit your description; I am sure there are others.

Mel Fulks
10-14-2014, 4:29 PM
Not sure from your post whether you have real mahogany or the African substitute. But what you describe sounds like
typical vertical grain which might be in a bulk purchase of many woods. With the African wood the vertical grain is often a
little cheaper than flat sawn because,according to a local dealer, "people think the flat sawn looks more like the real stuff".
Some call it "ribbon stripe".

Fred Heenie
10-14-2014, 4:44 PM
Have you looked for mahogany with a fiddle back figure? Do you know what the Latin species name for the wood you have? Is veneer an option. I can point you to a ribbon mahogany, the stripe in ribbion mahogany is vertical or a fiddle back veneer in Florida if that helps. The ribbon mahogany is actually Sepele an African species that is similar to genuine mahogany

Mark Carlson
10-14-2014, 5:26 PM
I bought african mahogany from wall lumber and half of it had this incredible stripping which may be what your seeing. I'll take a picture when I get home.

Mine appears to be sapele mahogany.