PDA

View Full Version : Which Engraver to purchase - Vision VE-810, M40 Gravograph or Roland EGX350 Engraver?

Kenneth H Brown
10-14-2014, 9:53 AM
New member and my first post. So let me say - thanks in advance for your help.
I'm looking for a engraver to do "onsite event" engraving. I've looked at the Vision VE-810, M40 Gravograph and the Roland EGX350.
Asking for input or experience for the best "transportable" engraver to add to my business.
I currently have a Epilog Mini Laser and have been in business for one year. I'm looking to add a engraver to expand current business for items the laser does not do well.
Plus the ability to do onsite engraving of medals, jewelry and other stainless steel, copper, silver items. My price point is $5K to $8K for the best, most reliable unit available.

Robert Bonenfant
10-14-2014, 1:39 PM
Hmm, Im new to laser cutting but have done a lot of research so far. Are you asking between the two machines or are you open at looking at other machines ??
Also what size items ? Small Jewelry or would you want the option to do large and small jobs??
Are you moving the laser from place to place in a truck, Car, Box Truck
I recently bought a Camfive laser - China made but sold in the USA (3 Day Shipping ;-) )
I looked at countless other lasers but I wanted a large work area & I'm keeping it in my Warehouse (Not moving 1800 pounds daily)
Once I get more details ill send you a few of the options I looked at - Most companies offer free samples and booklets on them

Kev Williams
10-14-2014, 9:39 PM
Setting aside the fact that nearly everything I own is gravograph--

In looking at those machines online, I'd choose the M40... However, I own a IS400 point n shoot, and it's my favorite machine.

Why?

The IS400's spindle head is completely out in the open, with nothing impeding MY head and magnifying loupes getting up close and personal to what I'm about to engrave from all sides but the back. I engrave weird stuff, and have to be absolutely certain the tool won't hit something it's not supposed to. My avatar pic at the upper-left is of my IS400 engraving a mold for a street hockey puck, if you look close, the cutter tool is about .025" from the mold where it angles up on the left side. With this machine I can see beforehand where I can and can't engrave. And, as my avatar shows, I can get a camera in there too! This also works with more traditional engraved things, like heart pendants, bracelets and such. This is the easiest machine to set up I own, I love the thing...

And you can pick up used ones in great shape in your budget...