PDA

View Full Version : Whatzit?

Bruce Darrow
10-13-2014, 8:01 PM
I found this while cleaning up my late father's workbench (such as it is.....) It was all gunked up with a sticky oil - I'm assuming some sort of paint/varnish/solvent residue - brush cleaner brought it to the condition seen here. It's about 5" long. The hooked lower arm folds back into a recess in the wooden handle.

So - all you tool junkies - Whatzit?

Mel Fulks
10-13-2014, 8:19 PM
I think that is a timber scribe . Used to mark the ends. I'm pretty sure someone will be able to give more detail.

Bill Orbine
10-13-2014, 8:24 PM
I think that is a timber scribe . Used to mark the ends. I'm pretty sure someone will be able to give more detail.
Bingo!!!!!

Bruce Darrow
10-14-2014, 7:11 AM
OK! Excellent - a timber scribe. Don't know what I'll ever do with it, though.

There was actually another interesting mystery tool found as well, but I was able to ID it myself. Nice brass case, three oddly configured steel blades that folded into the case along with a double beveled knife blade - ADV. Replicas NYC cast into the inside of the case. So how many of you know what a fleam is?

Learn something new every day.

ray hampton
10-14-2014, 1:05 PM

There was actually another interesting mystery tool found as well, but I was able to ID it myself. Nice brass case, three oddly configured steel blades that folded into the case along with a double beveled knife blade - ADV. Replicas NYC cast into the inside of the case. So how many of you know what a fleam is?

Learn something new every day.

fleam , I saw the name before BUT do not remember where

TODD RAYMER
10-14-2014, 2:23 PM
A fleam is a tool used in the old days for blood letting. They said if you were not felling well they would cut you with a fleam and get the bad blood out. The barber was also the guy that would do this. Those were the good old days.

Bruce Darrow
10-14-2014, 3:02 PM
Todd - 'zackley! Dad was an MD - I figure this was a promo from maybe a drug company or something similar, probably came in a nice box w/ company name/logo. Don't think Dad ever used it - at least not for the purging of bad humors.......

ray hampton
10-14-2014, 3:46 PM
Todd - 'zackley! Dad was an MD - I figure this was a promo from maybe a drug company or something similar, probably came in a nice box w/ company name/logo. Don't think Dad ever used it - at least not for the purging of bad humors.......

so this fleam is a type of knife ,are they illegal to own /carry

Lee Schierer
10-14-2014, 7:11 PM

Her's what it is used for. Timber Scribe use (http://www.penryfamily.com/surveying/timberscribe.html)