PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0415X2 upper guide alignment issue

Brad Swanson
10-12-2014, 11:24 PM
The past few days, I have been going through the process of setting-up a new Griz G0514X2 band saw. When trying to set the upper guides, I have noticed they are pointing slightly askew compared to the lower guides. I have attached a picture that shows this. If you look at the upper guides in the photo, they are pointed to the viewers right where the bottom guides are pointed directly at the viewer. As a consequence of this, I cannot get much blade clearance for the upper (viewer's) right guide bearing. In the picture its set at maximum clearance to the blade, which may be enough but not by much. I'm not sure if it is a sloppy casting with the upper bearing assembly or if the upper guide post is slightly rotated. I have moved the bearings through their entire range of travel and their registration to the blade changes only very little when the guide post is down all the way vs up all the way. I've tried all of the adjustments in the manual.

Is this misalignment normal or within the range of normal? Thanks.

298303 298302

Ken Fitzgerald
10-12-2014, 11:46 PM
Brad,

Have you performed the "Guide Post Travel" adjustments described on page 63 of the G0514X2 manual?

Brad Swanson
10-13-2014, 9:20 AM
Hi Ken,
Thanks very much for the suggestion. I haven't done that yet. Right now I don't have the table on the saw to enable that alignment. I did at one point, but I couldn't get the miter slot parallel to the blade (still working on that issue). Since the registration of the upper guides relative to the blade doesn't change much through the entire travel (top to bottom) of the guide post, I think it is aligned front to back and left to right, but I will put the table back on this evening to check. I'm wondering if the guide assembly is askew. Will be calling Grizzly today.