PDA

View Full Version : Metal Lathes Tool post upgrade question

Ron Bontz
10-12-2014, 10:48 PM
I am wishing to upgrade the tool post on a South Bend 10K. I have heard good things about the Aloris. But they are pricey. I was wondering if any one had other holders they could recommend. Thank you. Ron

Bruce Page
10-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Ron, the Aloris tool holder is supreme but way overkill. I’m not sure of the brand but I have a quick-change that looks almost identical to this: LatheMaster (http://lathemaster.com/QUICK%20CHANGE%20TOOL%20POST%20SET.htm)

Mine might be a little larger, I can use a ¾” bit and the Lathemaster looks like it takes a ½” bit.
It works great but it’s not as repeatable as the Aloris.

David G Baker
10-13-2014, 12:25 PM
I have been using a KDK knock-off for years. It has 6 attachments that pretty much take care of almost every machining need. I have a heavy duty 10 and I love it but once in a while wish I had a 17" for bigger jobs. I have never used the Aloris sets but they seem to be the holders that are most available.

John Aspinall
10-13-2014, 1:02 PM
I have a Phase 2, available from Enco. It may not be an Aloris, but at 1/3 of the price it's much better value for the hobbyist.

Scott T Smith
10-14-2014, 1:22 PM
I have a Phase 2, available from Enco. It may not be an Aloris, but at 1/3 of the price it's much better value for the hobbyist.

I have something similar. The Aloris are the Cadillac's though. Enco, Grizzly and MSC all have some good quality budget quick change systems that are an excellent addition to a metal lathe.

Ron Bontz
10-15-2014, 1:02 PM
Thank you. Took a look while at a Grizzly warehouse. Looks like Phase II it is.
On a separate note I am considering trying to have the ways re ground. Anyone know of a source to have this done?

Bruce Page
10-15-2014, 1:50 PM
The lathe ways reground? Google Machinery rebuilding services.
It is not a quick or inexpensive process.

Bill George
11-10-2014, 9:07 AM
The lathe ways reground? Google Machinery rebuilding services.
It is not a quick or inexpensive process.

Phase II is a good choice and get the wedge style. I lucked out with my long gone SB Heavy 10, I found someone with a lathe that had been smashed in a accident but the bed was perfect. Do some searching who knows? I think I paid $200 to my door in Iowa from someone in Wyoming.