PDA

View Full Version : Hand Plane HELP!!!

Dick Heifner
07-12-2005, 2:14 PM
Hello All,
I recently bought a hand plane, A Stanley #4 and and took it apart to get the iron sharpened. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while and I can't remember how it go's back together. As you can see this is my first plane. I had a diagram at one time and of course I can't find it now.:(

Thanks, Dick38

Bob Noles
07-12-2005, 2:57 PM
Dick,

I remember a thread I posted a while back that may be of help.

Check this out and let us know if it helps :eek:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15989&highlight=anatomy+of+a+plane

John Miliunas
07-12-2005, 3:25 PM
Dick, the #4 you have is primarily what's known as a "smoother". So, when putting it back together (the iron bevel down toward the sole), make sure you have the chipbreaker real close to the cutting edge of the iron. I'm talking somewhere to the tune of 1/32nd or less. The idea being, the closer to the edge, the finer the shavings, which is what you desire when smoothing.:) As the thread which Bob pointed you to indicates, grab yourself a book for quick reference, as well as much more refined explanations of what I'm trying to impart here. :rolleyes: :) :cool:

Tom LaRussa
07-12-2005, 5:02 PM
As the thread which Bob pointed you to indicates, grab yourself a book for quick reference, as well as much more refined explanations of what I'm trying to impart here. :rolleyes: :) :cool:

Another thing that will help is buying a bunch more planes. That way you get much more practice taking them apart and putting them back together, so you will always remember where everything goes. :p

Tom LaRussa
07-12-2005, 5:05 PM
took it apart to get the iron sharpened.

To "get" the iron sharpened? As in by someone else? :eek:

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Clearly John M has yet to explain to you the joys of the Lee Valley Mk II sharpener/system... ;)

Dick Heifner
07-12-2005, 5:28 PM
Thank's Guy's this is what I was looking for.:)

Dick38

John Miliunas
07-12-2005, 5:37 PM
To "get" the iron sharpened? As in by someone else? :eek:

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Clearly John M has yet to explain to you the joys of the Lee Valley Mk II sharpener/system... ;)

Ahhh...So which MK.II version do you want? The power system or the Mk.II honing guide/stones version?:) They're both rock solid!:D :cool:

Michael Perata
07-12-2005, 5:52 PM
Another thing that will help is buying a bunch more planes. That way you get much more practice taking them apart and putting them back together, so you will always remember where everything goes. :p

You left out the part about not putting ALL of the pieces in one box. :p

Jules Dominguez
07-12-2005, 9:55 PM
I use ziplock bags, Michael. I never have the right size box.