PDA

View Full Version : 2014 National Electrical Code (2014)

Tom M King
10-12-2014, 8:48 PM
It will answer all sorts of electrical questions that get asked here every week.

https://archive.org/details/nfpa.nec.2014

David G Baker
10-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Tom, great idea. It may not end up being a sticky but it is now a shortcut on my desktop. Thanks a lot for sharing. I use Mike Holt's on line site frequently when I need enough information to ask intelligent questions of a local code person prior to starting a project.

george newbury
10-15-2014, 4:24 PM
Thanks, now on my PC's.

Art Mann
10-24-2014, 1:29 PM
Just remember that the NEC is not the final authority on electrical wiring in most areas. The NEC was written and is maintained by a private professional organization (NFPA) and does not carry the authority of law. It is the individual community authorities who choose whether to adhere to it strictly. Every place I have done electrical work has slightly different local rules they have adopted and these always supersede the NEC. Sometimes these exceptions seem ridiculous to me but you won't get the power turned on until you comply.

Tom M King
11-01-2014, 7:27 PM
Good point, Art. The same thing goes for plumbing. I recently worked on a house is Raleigh, NC (never worked there before), and the inspectors wanted some plumbing stuff beyond code that I had never seen before. It's worth checking the code first though. I've seen a lot of questions on this Forum that would have been unnecessary to ask if the OP had simply looked it up in the code first. It seems easier to just ask on a public forum, but there is also the common problem of answers that just aren't right either.

Bruce Wrenn
01-09-2015, 8:07 AM
Good point, Art. The same thing goes for plumbing. I recently worked on a house is Raleigh, NC (never worked there before), and the inspectors wanted some plumbing stuff beyond code that I had never seen before. It's worth checking the code first though. I've seen a lot of questions on this Forum that would have been unnecessary to ask if the OP had simply looked it up in the code first. It seems easier to just ask on a public forum, but there is also the common problem of answers that just aren't right either.Good point. I used to build metal buildings around the state. The first day in a new town, I would take the building inspector to lunch, and ask him what gave him the most problems. Rest assured that on my project this wouldn't be a problem. Best ten bucks I ever spent while in the building business.

Rob Damon
01-16-2015, 12:14 AM
Also keep in mind that every State adopts different codes and different versions.

For example in Virginia, the VUSBC is the adopted code and the current version is 2012 with adopts the IEC with references the 2011 NEC. So for the next few years, electrical work falls under the 2011 NEC and not the 2014 NEC. So you should check your State website or the locality website to see which is the currently accepted version of the various codes.

Steve Baumgartner
01-16-2015, 9:13 AM
Good point. I used to build metal buildings around the state. The first day in a new town, I would take the building inspector to lunch, and ask him what gave him the most problems. Rest assured that on my project this wouldn't be a problem. Best ten bucks I ever spent while in the building business.

Amen! The inspector is the local authority and has the power to interpret the rules almost any way he wishes. Arguing with him over a technical point of code is a losing battle! Always better to schmooze him up a bit.

Bruce Wrenn
11-02-2015, 7:53 AM
Amen! The inspector is the local authority and has the power to interpret the rules almost any way he wishes. Arguing with him over a technical point of code is a losing battle! Always better to schmooze him up a bit., I always say "Inspector has MAGIC PEN. He uses it to sign off on your project. Only his "Magic Pen" works for this. I have done battle a couple times as there is more than one approved method of work. But have your ducks in a row before questioning inspector. Raleigh used to have an inspector who would go check code book for exceptions before turning something down. New people would say "He was looking for something else to find fault with," when he was doing exact opposite.

Ole Anderson
11-15-2015, 10:03 PM
I clicked on the link and got this:
The item is not available due to issues with the item's content.
If you would like to report this problem as an error report, you may do so here (https://archive.org/report-new.php?identifier=nfpa.nec.2014&referer=http://archive.org/details/nfpa.nec.2014)

Dan Hintz
11-16-2015, 5:58 AM
This thread is over a year old, so it's no surprise the links are faulty

Tom M King
11-16-2015, 7:49 PM
It was good while it lasted, but I wasn't able to find a free online version today....maybe later.

Tom M King
03-09-2016, 10:20 PM
Mods: might as well delete this thread. I haven't seen or heard of another free link.

Dan Hintz
03-10-2016, 7:51 AM
Here's a draft of the proposed version... not perfect, but a lot closer to nothing:
http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/aboutthecodes/70/70-a2013-ropdraft.pdf

Roy Turbett
03-16-2017, 3:25 PM
Also keep in mind that every State adopts different codes and different versions.

For example in Virginia, the VUSBC is the adopted code and the current version is 2012 with adopts the IEC with references the 2011 NEC. So for the next few years, electrical work falls under the 2011 NEC and not the 2014 NEC. So you should check your State website or the locality website to see which is the currently accepted version of the various codes.

Very true. There are also differences in the way the same code is interpreted by different jurisdiction. This showed up recently on another forum in regard to whether multiple receptacles are permitted on a 30 amp circuit. Michigan says yes but Virginia says no even though they both use the IRC. The correct answer to a code question is always the one you get from your inspector.

Rollie Kelly
06-27-2018, 12:24 PM
The thing people don't understand is that code is the least acceptable work.

Julie Moriarty
07-01-2018, 11:12 AM
The thing people don't understand is that code is the least acceptable work.
And in many municipalities, is changed, improved or not used at all.

Charlie Velasquez
04-24-2019, 8:45 PM
An update. The National Fire Protection Association now makes the 2017 NEC freely available online.
You will need to register, but that is free.

It is neither downloadable nor searchable, but it has the table of contents that is clickable, and the index. If you are familiar with the book’s structure it won’t take you too long to find what you want.

They have also published the draft copy of the next revision.

You can find the 2017 NEC here:
https://www.nfpa.org/NEC

Osvaldo Cristo
09-22-2019, 3:28 PM
It will answer all sorts of electrical questions that get asked here every week.

https://archive.org/details/nfpa.nec.2014

Probably the link doesn´t exist. It is not working.

Charlie Velasquez
09-24-2019, 2:15 PM
Probably the link doesn´t exist. It is not working.

That link has been dead for years. Check Dan Hintz’s post just a few above this for the link of the draft copy of the 2014 code, which was still working as of noon on 09-24-2019.

If you want the current code check my previous post.

Osvaldo Cristo
09-25-2019, 3:37 PM
Oh... Thanks!

Joe Hayden
05-19-2021, 8:19 AM
here is the current link https://www.nfpa.org/Codes-and-Standards/All-Codes-and-Standards/Free-access
NFPA makes important safety codes and standards available for free onlineAs part of its commitment to enhancing public safety, NFPA makes its codes and standards available online to the public for free. Online access to NFPA's consensus documents conveniently places important safety information on the desktops of traditional users as well as others who have a keen interest. NFPA is committed to serving the public's increasing interest in technical information, and online access to these key codes is a valuable resource.

i hope this is some help.

derek labian
12-03-2021, 10:05 PM
The link this sticky was created for no longer works.

"Items may be taken down for various reasons, including by decision of the uploader or due to a violation of our
Terms of Use (https://archive.org/about/terms.php)"