PDA

View Full Version : Broke my Lenox Woodmaster CT bandsaw blade, fixable???

Craig Behnke
10-12-2014, 7:34 PM
Think it was my fault, but not sure (didn't tighten the quill). I made a quick 5 second cut through a 1/2 inch thick piece of maple about 9 inches long, I hit the kill switch, applied some pressure to the foot brake, turned to walk away and half a second later I heard a pop/bang so loud, if I had a lump of coal between my buttcheeks there would have been a diamond after I unclenched them.

The blade teeth have a ton of life in them, it was a lightly used blade. I understand a lot of broken blades can be repaired, but this one is a bit bent also, about an 18 inch section was bent in a "S" shape. Is that "S" bend fixable? I have no experience with broken/repaired blades.

Thanks.

David Kumm
10-12-2014, 10:38 PM
I've never had much luck with bent blades. They always seem to have some flutter although you can get them to be good enough for a drum sander. To reweld you need a saw that allows a range of lengths so you can lose a few teeth. Dave

Bill Adamsen
10-13-2014, 9:25 AM
Ouch! Depending on how much blade remains undamaged, it might be salvaged for a smaller machine (I use Lenox woodmaster ct 16’ 9” x 1” x .035” x 1.3 tpi). Centauro recommends a 10:1 scarf joint when brazing ... I've never done it, so can't comment on how well it works, but, brazing/welding is how they make them so I've got to believe it's feasible. I pay a bit less than $200 for mine, let me know if you want the source.

I must have missed shop class the day they described the bandsaw parts. I had never heard that term "quill", but you can be sure I just went and checked to make sure mine was tight!

Craig Behnke
10-13-2014, 8:17 PM
I must have missed shop class the day they described the bandsaw parts. I had never heard that term "quill", but you can be sure I just went and checked to make sure mine was tight!

You're right, it's not the quill, it's the guidepost. not sure why i called it the quill