PDA

View Full Version : For Fun Laser Project - 1907 Mack Delivery Truck Wood Model

Mikah Barnett
10-12-2014, 5:38 PM
Thought I'd share this as I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I was hankering to work on a model a few weeks back but didn't have anything handy. So, I sat down at my CAD workstation and modeled up this 1907 Mack 7-Ton Delivery truck from a few assorted photos I found on Google. Once the 3D model was built, just made drawings and cut all the parts from 1/8 Birch plywood with a few little pieces out of 1/16" birch sheet.

Spent a few evenings assembling and gluing and it turned into a nice little model! I still have a few minor details to add - lights on the sides of the cab front and probably some crates to carry in the bed, but for the most part it is complete. The laser had no issues at all cutting and would go through the plywood in 1 pass at 70mm/sec although there was enough warpage in each sheet of ply that there were a few pieces I had to cut more than once due to loss of focus. But, all parts turned out great on the first pass.

Now that the design work is done, I'm considering doing a limited and numbered edition of kits (each one gets a numbered license plate and personalized engraving on the hood), but because this is so far from my normal business I have no idea how or where to sell them. Any thoughts?

http://www.allanglesdesign.com/Portals/0/Images/Projects/MackTruck/MackRender4.png
http://www.allanglesdesign.com/Portals/0/Images/Projects/MackTruck/IMAG0831.jpg
http://www.allanglesdesign.com/Portals/0/Images/Projects/MackTruck/IMAG0834.jpg
http://www.allanglesdesign.com/Portals/0/Images/Projects/MackTruck/IMAG0839.jpg

Bryan Rocker
10-12-2014, 6:33 PM
Wow, all I can say is WOW!!!!!

Bryan

Bernie Fraser
10-12-2014, 8:04 PM
Brilliant job , looks superb . Sorry cannot help on where would be a good place to sell them . Just wanted to say well done .

Bert Kemp
10-12-2014, 8:41 PM
Excellent Job. maybe sell on ebay. Set up table at local crafts fair. ContCT Mack maybe they let you use there logo and sell them for you.

gary l roberts
10-12-2014, 9:05 PM
What a hoot!

Bill George
10-13-2014, 7:41 AM
Try Etsy, a kind of arts and craft place. Step daughter sold her original paintings on there with success. It looks like you spent a lot of time on it however and you never seem to get paid for that time.

Chris DeGerolamo
10-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Great work and great execution.

Richard DiMaggio
10-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Mikah,
Excellent work bud. May I just add my 2 cents? I would take your detail just one step further and add the chain links to the chain and lines in the springs etc. to make that thing really pop. There are probably a few others you can put in there like on the radiator etc.
Not trying to detract from your work, but a few more details (that would not take much more time to incorporate since you have the parts on the flatbed laser) that would make it fly off the shelf.
rj

Mikah Barnett
10-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the responses!

And Richard, no offense at all. I've debated on adding a little more detail - exactly the areas you mentioned plus a grill pattern on the sides of the hood where the rectangular outline is. So far, though, engraving has proven tough due to the non-flatness of the wood. I built this from 3 sheets of 12x24x1/8 birch plywood and 1 sheet of 4x24x1/16 plain birch. If I were to make more of them, I think I'd have to build myself a jig of sorts to hold the 4 edges of each piece of wood to help flatten it. The chain is about 3/32" wide so not much margin for error there, but I think it could be done!

I even considered possibly cutting actual links from 1/32" plywood that could be glued on individually which I think would give a really cool look, just haven't played with that idea yet.

Also, the Mack museum has agreed to send me some more pictures and information about the truck so when I receive that, I will make a number of tweaks to make it a little more detailed and a little more accurate.

Michele Welch
10-13-2014, 9:00 PM
Mikah, you have done a wonderful job on this model. My grandson saw it a few minutes ago and his first words were Nana, you have the laser, now buy the pattern so we can make one. He is only 6, but loves to go down to Nana's workshop in the basement and see what we can make together. I'd be on board to purchase the plans if you were going to sell them. Great job!!!!

Robert Bonenfant
10-14-2014, 1:47 PM
Try Etsy and ebay

What a great design Let us know when they go on sale

john passek
10-15-2014, 1:50 PM
Nice job. Mack collectors would like this.

Dave Sheldrake
10-15-2014, 3:03 PM
Hi Mikah,

Very hard to make money on cut models to be honest, unless you do limited editions or very unusual stuff :(

I have around 1500 designs and of those that have been released only 50 have likely been profitable given the time and amount of work in each one.
Chinese made woodcraft kits have pretty much killed the market :(

fantastic Mack though :)

cheers

Dave

Martin Boekers
10-15-2014, 3:42 PM
Maybe consider selling them as kits? Or maybe downsizing as a miniature for model railroad enthusiasts. Check with your local Convention Centers
or Halls for shows coming up that maybe a market for these.

Nice work!

Mikah Barnett
10-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback, all. I genuinely did this from the get-go for my own personal satisfaction, so I'm not too concerned about making money with it. That said, if I was going to sell direct to consumer (eeeewww - retail!) I would want it priced high enough so that I didn't hate myself in the morning.

The only way that makes sense to me to sell it is as a limited edition, numbered kit. Assembly is actually very quick - a competent builder could easily do it in a short day. Trick is just finding the right buyers. I reached out to the official Mack store to see if they have any interest, but if nothing obviously good pops up I will probably just keep mine and make a couple for close friends.

Next up will be a 1941(ish) Willys Jeep!

Dave Sheldrake
10-16-2014, 11:09 AM

They ended up being interesting distractions :)

cheers

Dave

Mikah Barnett
10-16-2014, 3:14 PM

They ended up being interesting distractions :)

cheers

Dave

Very nice, Dave!!!