PDA

View Full Version : Watch this video...homemade bandsaw mill

lowell holmes
10-12-2014, 12:22 PM
What a hoot. Homemade bandsaw mill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU-Gykz2ADY

Harold Burrell
10-12-2014, 3:18 PM
Yeah. I've seen a few other of this guy's stuff. He is actually VERY clever.

Kent A Bathurst
10-12-2014, 4:06 PM
:D :D :D

Pretty cool, actually.

If you watched closely, on the first [smaller] log, there was some hellacious deflection on that blade - an inch, maybe?

The "tires" helped that, plus on the 2d log, the guides were closer to the work - he should have moved them in closer for the 1st log.

All-in-all............I gotta give the guy big props for taking the time to build and mount hinged safety covers for the wheels. That is the LAST thing I would have ever considered doing for a rig like this. Especially the nice green paint job. Hilarious.

I mean - what was he protecting against? Product liability and lawsuits? :p :p He should have painted them Safety Yellow :D :D

Too bad he did not take the Red Green approach - that would have been a moving carriage, with a stationary saw head, with one idler wheel, and with the drive wheel being the rear wheel of a 1982 F-150 on blocks in the front yard ...................waste of money on the electric motor and the starter for it.................

Matt Day
10-12-2014, 7:37 PM
I've seen a few of his designs and he is very clever, and I'm sure smarter than most of us on this board!

He's got my respect.

Kent- he figured out the blade drift issue later in the video.

Danny Hamsley
10-12-2014, 8:34 PM
Makes me really appreciate my Woodmizer sawmill.......

Kent A Bathurst
10-12-2014, 9:38 PM
Kent- he figured out the blade drift issue later in the video.

Oh - I got that bit. I admire the guy's ingenuity.

The safety covers still kill me, though.

Heh-heh-heh..............

Jerry Olexa
10-13-2014, 9:20 PM
Amazing!!! thanks..Smart guy!!

Mark Bolton
10-14-2014, 8:18 AM
Whenever I see his stuff I envision an individual whotel rarely sleeps.

Brian Hale
10-14-2014, 5:58 PM
Nobody ever told that guy "You can't do that" so he does....... Built 2 bandsaws and a 12" planer... Check out his box joint jig for the tablesaw

Garth Almgren
10-14-2014, 6:15 PM
I actually bought his screw-advance box joint jig plans, and someday I might get around to building one. :D

John Lifer
10-14-2014, 6:59 PM
Bought and made his router lift. Tilts and works pretty well. I didn't do as well as he did on the teeth of the lift. Well worth the price

Huck Schwee
10-14-2014, 7:45 PM

All-in-all............I gotta give the guy big props for taking the time to build and mount hinged safety covers for the wheels. That is the LAST thing I would have ever considered doing for a rig like this. Especially the nice green paint job. Hilarious.

I mean - what was he protecting against? Product liability and lawsuits? :p :p He should have painted them Safety Yellow :D :D

Too bad he did not take the Red Green approach - that would have been a moving carriage, with a stationary saw head, with one idler wheel, and with the drive wheel being the rear wheel of a 1982 F-150 on blocks in the front yard ...................waste of money on the electric motor and the starter for it.................

I've watched pretty much all of his videos and I'm pretty sure that this saw was originally a standard shop bandsaw that he build (maybe his first?). For this project, he flipped it onto it's side and built the rest of the mill around it, hence the small cutting capability. I'm pretty sure he painted it to match the rest of his tools and because he used a variety of woods to build it.

Brian Hale
10-14-2014, 8:11 PM
For this project, he flipped it onto it's side and built the rest of the mill around it, hence the small cutting capability. I'm pretty sure he painted it to match the rest of his tools and because he used a variety of woods to build it.

Think I could do that with my MM16??

Russell Webster
10-14-2014, 9:29 PM
I think he was an engineer with RIM "Blackberry". He does some interesting videos.

Dave Zellers
10-15-2014, 12:22 AM
I think he was an engineer with RIM "Blackberry". He does some interesting videos.
Yes he was. And yes he does. And his father, now passed away, built the summer camp they still rent out in Canada by hand including milling logs for the lumber on site. Matthias is a schooled engineer, his father was a 'seat of his pants' engineer. Matthias reveres what his father accomplished with grit, hard work and ingenuity and I think his father would feel the same about Matthias' engineering knowledge and curiosity.

It all makes for a very interesting blog.

Chuck Hart
10-15-2014, 1:37 AM
You should visit his web site he has some really fantastic builds. The one thing I am amazed with is his pantarouter. Here is the link to his page: http://woodgears.ca/ He made a jointer two bandsaws, and a plethora of other things. I really admire the guy

Dennis Aspö
10-15-2014, 5:38 AM
I plan to build his band saw in the future, it will be an interesting project. The screw advance box joint jig looks like the single most useful jig I have seen though, also on my list, as well as the router lift.

Warren Wilson
10-15-2014, 9:59 PM
If you liked his bandsaw and router lift, you'll LOVE his "pantorouter."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDPrFJazD3Q&list=PL7A1D94FF4FF10854

Dennis Aspö
10-16-2014, 1:56 AM
I've seen it too, but at the moment I am more in need of a band saw and router table than the panto router. I might build it int he future sometime though. It's just a bit too advanced for me, I feel I should work up to it and do the traditional methods first.

Chris Parks
10-16-2014, 2:20 AM
I have seen a build of his BS and the person who built it said he thought it not worth the trouble due to the cost running close to a used saw.

Rod Sheridan
10-16-2014, 8:30 AM

Red Green...............LOL...............Here's a couple of photographs of the homemade band mill I made. I simply don't see the point of making a wood machine.

It comes apart into pieces that I can lift into the minivan and it has a 2HP electric motor or 8 HP gas engine. The wood shown was cut with the electric motor, it's Ash from my townhouse complex courtesy of the Emerald Ash Borer........Rod.

Gus Dundon
10-16-2014, 4:20 PM
I've seen different videos about homemmade band saw. Thanks for sharing this. I doubt if I can make something like this.