PDA

View Full Version : Source for birch plywood with plastic laminate face?

Jim C Martin
10-12-2014, 12:02 PM
Hello All:
Could any of you please tell me a source for Baltic birch style (no void) plywood that comes with plastic laminate faces applied? We have a small commercial application where buying plywood with the faces already applied would be a huge time saver.
Cheers,
Jim

Max Neu
10-12-2014, 12:39 PM
If you have a DSI in your area, give them a call. I know they use to sell it, I think they called it cabinet liner?

Paul Girouard
10-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Architectural Woods, Brady International Hardwoods, Edensaw Woods , etc , all could provide laid up sheet goods. Not knowing where your located hampers the effort , but I think the first two companies are pretty large so Googling them may find one of them close to your location.

In a bind at a shop I worked at we needed 20 or so sheets faster than they could provide it , so we laid up our own.

We got the 11/16 " high density P/B , you could lay the lam up on plywood the same way,get the vertical grade P. Lam. in the selected color . We used white glue, a 5 gallon bucket with a painters screen in the bucket, we spread the glue with a roller , laid the P. Lam, stacked the next sheet on it glued it up , so on and so forth until we had the # of sheets we needed. They stacked a larger pile of PB on top tro act as a press. The P. Lam will be wider then the sheets by 1/2" or so, so lay the P. Lam so it over hangs and rout it off after the glue has kicked.

It worked fine. And if you lay up P. Lam on a substrate with carpenters glue, you're not removing it, it glues it VERY well, much better than contact bond , of "Formica Glue" as people who don't know much about Plastic Laminate generally call it.

Jim C Martin
10-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks Paul!
We'll be building these in Salt Lake City and in Austin. Will google the companies you suggest.
I also like your approach to glue up, thanks for sharing! You make it sound pretty simple.
Cheers,
Jim

Architectural Woods, Brady International Hardwoods, Edensaw Woods , etc , all could provide laid up sheet goods. Not knowing where your located hampers the effort , but I think the first two companies are pretty large so Googling them may find one of them close to your location.

In a bind at a shop I worked at we needed 20 or so sheets faster than they could provide it , so we laid up our own.

Got the 11/16 " high density P/B , you could lay the lam up on plywood the same way, got the vertical grade P. Lam. We used white glue, a gallon bucket with a painters screen in the bucket, we spread the glue with a roller , laid the P. Lam, stacked the next sheet on it glued it up , so on and so forth until we had the # of sheets we needed. They stacked a larger pile of PB on top tro act as a press.

It worked fine. And if you lay up P. Lam on a substrate with carpenters glue, you're not removing it, it glues it VERY well, much better than contact bond , of "Formica Glue" as people who don't know much about Plastic Laminate generally call it.

Paul Girouard
10-12-2014, 1:57 PM
Thanks Paul!
We'll be building these in Salt Lake City and in Austin. Will google the companies you suggest.
I also like your approach to glue up, thanks for sharing! You make it sound pretty simple.
Cheers,
Jim

Yes , it was pretty simple, having a fork lift and a unit of melemie or what ever the stack of sheet goods in the shop made the "pressing" part pretty easy as well.