PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Jack came in the mail

steven c newman
10-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Seems I sell one jack plane, and turn around and buy another one.....

This one might be a touch old, though298239

DE stands for Diamond Edge..this is a DE#5. Have since repaired the knob. Oak veneer strips were glued into the gap made after planing the two halves flat. CA to adhere the parts together. Letting the glue finish curing now
Tote was broken, but it was a clean break. CA to glue it together. Bolt was changed out
As I don't think that hex headed one will quite do. Happened to have both a correct tote bolt, and the toe bolt. Looks like Union made the frog?
The iron has the DE logo stamped into it
BTW, threads on the smallish Brass wheel are left-handed. Hole on the iron is at the bottom. Lever cap has a keyhole style hole, and a steel plate spring
Sole will need some work, though it is free of chips and cracks, but not paint. Japanning is at 75%298244

So, what can you tell me about a Union Made DE#5? Wood looks like walnut? Seat for the frog has just some "lands" with the bolts sitting in a lower un-milled area between them. Maybe about pre-1920?

Harold Burrell
10-12-2014, 7:08 AM
hmmm...looks like a good solid plane.

steven c newman
10-13-2014, 2:39 PM
Just about done with the clean up298317
Underneath all the Diamond Edge stuff, there is a Union type 3
Wood is Rosewood, I think. Iron is stamped for DE. But, that there is a Union T3 lateral lever, on a Union frog.
The so-called "Patina" was just clearcoated rust. Once that mess was gone, not too bad a plane. Knob has a strip of oak veneer to fill the crack in the knob. Replaced that hex headed bolt with the correct one. Even found a toe bolt.
Still have to sharpen the iron. It does have a camber to it, too.

Terry Beadle
10-13-2014, 3:05 PM
My eye was drawn to that crack in the front knob. You said it had a oak shim in it to fill the crack? Any picture of it after the glue set?

That looks to me like a good user and plenty of blade life left.

Lucky you!! Hoot!

Enjoy the shavings.

steven c newman
10-13-2014, 3:19 PM
See what I can do298325

Would happen to be white oak.... BLO/Varnish mix after sanded down.