PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blade length- Lenox Trimaster

Clay Fails
10-11-2014, 10:48 AM
I have a 14 inch Powermatic bandsaw with riser block, which is supposed to take 105 inch blades. Sometimes I have trouble getting the top wheel low enough to slip the blade on, but can usually gat it on. For some reason the Lenox Trimaster 3/8 inch, 3 tpi blade just will not go on the tires. Its like it's too short, even though it is in fact 105 like all my other blades.

Do these carbide tipped blades tend to be hard to install? Maybe they stretch less. Should i go longer than 105, and if so, how much longer? I have not called Lenox yet but plan to.

thanks

Jamie Buxton
10-11-2014, 11:59 AM
No, the carbide tips don't affect whether the blade goes on the saw. What you have is a blade that's too short. It is not "like all my other blades". They fit, and this one doesn't. This one is shorter.

Myk Rian
10-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Get in touch with Lenox.
Wiggle the upper wheel. It might settle down a little.

Erik Loza
10-11-2014, 1:05 PM
Agreed: Too short...

Any blade can be cut incorrectly. Tri-masters are indeed stiff but not (in my experience) any harder to fit to the saw. I'd measure it and see if it is truly 105" and then contact the vendor if not. Best of luck with it.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Jim Andrew
10-11-2014, 9:51 PM
Found an easy way to measure bandsaw blades. Lay your tape out on the floor, and put a mark with a sharpie on the blade. Put the mark on the end of your tape, and roll the blade along the floor close to the tape till the mark comes up again. Much easier than trying to hold your tape around the outside of a blade. Or inside.

Brian White
10-12-2014, 5:01 PM
If you are having this problem with all of your blades it is possible that the part of the tracking device that the screw goes against is bent sticking inside the top cover not letting the top wheel slide down low enough. at least this can happen on the delta I assume the powermatic is similiar

Clay Fails
10-28-2014, 11:51 AM
All, I finally got to the root of the problem. I had forgotten that this particular blade had snapped in half at the weld some time ago, and I had sent it back to the seller for repair. in speaking with them after the repaired blade would not fit, it was determined that they actually reduced the overall length fractionally in the repair process. Apparently the reduction was enough to prevent the blade from fitting over the wheels.
According to the seller, adding more length to the blade is not possible now because Lenox has discontinued the tooth pattern of that particular style. So I'm out of luck.....................

Erik Loza
10-28-2014, 3:17 PM
Clay, have you tried the Lenox Woodmaster CT?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Clay Fails
10-28-2014, 4:43 PM
Clay, have you tried the Lenox Woodmaster CT?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Erik
No, I haven't. Is that also a carbide tipped blade?

Brad Patch
10-28-2014, 4:46 PM
Clay,

Give Iturra Design a call 904-642 2802, Louis may be able help you.

Clay Fails
10-28-2014, 4:49 PM
Clay,

Give Iturra Design a call 904-642 2802 (tel:904-642 2802), Louis may be able help you.

Brad, thanks for the lead. I'll give that a try.

David Kumm
10-28-2014, 5:08 PM
The CT only comes in wider sizes- I think- so not an option for a 14" saw. What is the range of adjustment for the blade length on that machine? Many saws have a several inch range. A blade should always be a little less than its stated size because it is always welded between the teeth. Dave

Erik Loza
10-28-2014, 5:26 PM
The CT only comes in wider sizes...

Ah, I did not realize this. Only really deal in the 1.0"+ range, ya know? Thanks for the heads up.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA