PDA

View Full Version : Supplies for the laser..

Jay Selway
10-10-2014, 9:59 PM
So, if all goes according to plan, I should have my laser purchased in a few weeks. Thanks to everyone that helped me get up to speed with all things pew pew.

Anyway, onto the next step, forecasting maintenance and supplies costs. Other than actual materials to cut (acrylic, wood, whatever)... what supplies are a MUST have when working with a laser?

Obviously stuff to clean the optics, fire extinguisher, transfer tape, weights to hold stuff down, magnets, ceramark, rags, rulers, squares, mounting tape, digital caliper...

anything else you recommend picking up?

I'm primarily going to be working with wood and paper. Mostly engraving, some cutting.

Robert Bonenfant
10-11-2014, 9:28 AM
Hmmm, not sure what your machine is coming with and what type of machine you bought?

We bought our machine and had to supply a fume extractor, Air Assist system, Water chiller - Is this the type of supplies your talking about ??

Jay Selway
10-11-2014, 9:50 AM
Hmmm, not sure what your machine is coming with and what type of machine you bought?

We bought our machine and had to supply a fume extractor, Air Assist system, Water chiller - Is this the type of supplies your talking about ??

Nah, I mean things like transfer tape. Supplies not directly attached to the laser, but helpful to have.

Bruce Volden
10-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Well, I recommend a loupe for looking things over closely. Also I use my dial caliper quite often. I also have a "cheat sheet" for converting fraction, decimal, metric. HTH

Bruce

Ross Moshinsky
10-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Overall to operate a laser, you don't need a lot of tools. You'll need a few types of levels for projects and scrap material to level the product. Cheap material for cutting jigs (MDF for example). In general, stuff to make jigs. Transfer tape of different thicknesses is good to have. Blue painters tape is good for testing. Good measuring tools are also important. Caliper and good rulers are invaluable. The biggest thing you'll start collecting is cleaning and polishing supplies. I'd also contact manufacturers and get samples of the normal engravers materials like anodized aluminum, engravers metals, engravers plastics, glass, crystal, ect. It's good to start building a knowledge base from personal experience. Picking an item from a drop down and pressing start is no way to put out professional results 100% of the time. I confirmed this for myself once again yesterday.

Bob A Miller
10-11-2014, 3:27 PM
Most useful thing for me is the digital calliper. A bottle of simple green has also helped a lot with cleanup for me.

Bruce Volden
10-11-2014, 5:00 PM
Forgot----------toothbrush!

Bruce

Dan Wilhelm
10-11-2014, 5:58 PM
Denatured alcohol and sterile gauze/cotton swabs for cleaning lenses and mirrors.

Bill George
10-11-2014, 7:17 PM
Most useful thing for me is the digital calliper. A bottle of simple green has also helped a lot with cleanup for me.

And for me also a Metric tape measure, got it from McMaster Carr.

Robert Tepper
10-11-2014, 10:53 PM
A shop vac is very helpful also. Clean your machine daily or between projects.

Robert