PDA

View Full Version : Connections

Bill George
10-10-2014, 6:52 PM
So out with the laser this afternoon doing a little acrylic job. Getting near the end and the X axis takes a jump over about 2 inches and resumes the program. Then it went out of control more or less, so I shut it down. Had some stuff built up on the X rail so cleaned that off and then took the carriage apart and checked the bearings, all fine but I got the measurements for future replacement.

Started the job again only worse! Ran it around with the key pad while shaking some wires nothing found. Then I though, might as well ground the machine I had a 6 foot (2 meter) copper ground rod I used with my Ham radio set up. So I ran wire over and hooked to the machine. Same problem.

Started to check the connections on the "X" controller and was appalled to find them all at least one turn loose some more. One wire basically fell out of the connector! When I first got the machine I was happy to see the Chinese must have tightened all the connections really well because then they used what looked like clear silicone sealer over everything. Wrong. Screw connections loose even under the goop! Needless to say ALL connections got checked.

So far my limited retesting shows all is well. Moral of the story, don't trust anyone when it comes to wiring.

Kevin Gregerson
10-11-2014, 5:50 PM
Turn off computer unplug everything, restart computer, then send job out again.

Bill George
10-11-2014, 7:24 PM
I am pretty sure it was the connections to the wiring. Especially when the wire that fell out on its own was on the "X" motor driver.

AL Ursich
10-11-2014, 9:52 PM
Read up on "Ground Loop" when you use a Ground rod for your machine rather than a wire to the Power Company Ground. It could cause future problems with communication between your computer and laser.

AL

Bill George
10-12-2014, 7:37 AM
Read up on "Ground Loop" when you use a Ground rod for your machine rather than a wire to the Power Company Ground. It could cause future problems with communication between your computer and laser.
AL

I will remove that ground rod connection as before this incident the machine was working fine. Very aware of the ground loop condition as a ground rod Not connected to service or main panel ground is not always a ground :) . Thanks for the reminder.

Dave Sheldrake
10-12-2014, 8:36 AM
Not unusual Bill, I've seen the screws on the card blocks come loose a few times over the years :(

cheers

Dave

Kev Williams
10-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Before trusting your home/building grounds, check 'em...

The house I'm living in now, my parents bought in 1969. It was built in 1966, and the builder built it for himself. He lived here for a whole year, next owners lived here till we bought it. The quick sales were due to water in the basement, high water table. I believe it was when dad installed a new stove & oven that he discovered that main ground wire to the main panel (inside the house) was run to the copper water pipes. Now, I'm not sure if that was kosher in 1966, but the bigger problem was the ground wire was positioned next to the clamp, but not IN it. Nobody ever hooked it up! Until that day all the ground wires in this house went nowhere!

As this business grew within in the house, we've since had a 200amp main panel added outside, it's ground rod buried right below it. I think I'll go check it! :)

Dave Sheldrake
10-12-2014, 1:28 PM
Ground here tend to run to the copper as well Kev

cheers

Dave

Bill George
10-13-2014, 7:36 AM
My test using the exact file that was downloaded to the machine last week was successful. Connections were the problem. Thanks for all the suggestions.