PDA

View Full Version : Power Feeder

Chuck Harris
07-12-2005, 10:53 AM
OK budget is limited here.

I have a grizzly 1.5HP small shaper. Looking to put a power feeder on it. Will a 1/8HP feeder work or should I get a 1/4 HP one. Anything bigger would seem to be overkill.

lou sansone
07-12-2005, 12:34 PM
dont get the little baby one.. it is a piece of junk. I bought one and sent it right back. get at least 1/2 hp unit.

lou

Steve Clardy
07-12-2005, 12:39 PM
I have the 1/4 grizzly. Works fine, except wish it had a slower speed than the low speed on it.

Michael Perata
07-12-2005, 6:02 PM
OK budget is limited here.

I have a grizzly 1.5HP small shaper. Looking to put a power feeder on it. Will a 1/8HP feeder work or should I get a 1/4 HP one. Anything bigger would seem to be overkill.

Bigger on a shaper is not necessarily overkill. One of the advantages of most shapers is the rotation is reversible allowing for "climb" cutting easily torn stock, BUT, it takes a hefty feeder to be able to control the kickback inherent in "climb" cutting. A 1/4HP would be enough in most cases, but I would opt for the largest unit your budget and shaper can handle.

I would stay away from anything resembling the Delta Versa-Feeder.

Chuck Harris
07-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys. 1/4 Grizzly inbound.

Chuck Harris
07-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Holy Shitake mushrooms that was fast.

Called grizzly and ordered the feeder. CS said that the unit would have to be shipped by truck. Oh well I figured I'd see it next week. This morning FedEx calls and asks when they can deliver. So this afternoon a Fed Ex Ground Semi trailer pulls up in front of the house. The only thing in the truck was my little 70 lbs power feeder box. Washington isn't that far from Reno but that was quick.