PDA

View Full Version : melamine top protection

David Huston
10-09-2014, 11:44 AM
I am building a large workbench (4 x 5 1/2) that will consist of a 1/2 inch melamine plywood (coated on both sides) attached to a 3/4 piece of Baltic birch. I am going to put some t track in the melamine for glue ups and such. My concern is protecting the top when I am not using it. If I need to stack some wood on it or protect it while finishing small parts, etc. Any ideas on something to put on top that is light and easy to move around?

Ethan Melad
10-09-2014, 11:49 AM
I don't see why you'd really need to protect melamine... Its pretty durable, and pretty cheap. But you could always use scrap cardboard, or scrap 1/4" ply/MDF.. or scrap anything.

David Huston
10-09-2014, 11:53 AM
I am wanting to protect it because it is going to be glued to another piece and have t tracks in it so I won't be easily replaced.

Erik Loza
10-09-2014, 11:54 AM
I don't see why you'd really need to protect melamine... Its pretty durable, and pretty cheap. But you could always use scrap cardboard, or scrap 1/4" ply/MDF.. or scrap anything.

My thoughts as well.... I don't really know how "protected" a benchtop could (or should) really be in a shop environment. It will get beat up no matter what. I just used a piece of masonite for mine. May replace it some day but that will probably be years down the road.

Regarding the melamine ply: Why coated both sides? Just curious. Wonder if you could save some $$$ there.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Ethan Melad
10-09-2014, 11:59 AM
why not screw the melamine to the ply from the underside?
if you're using 1/2" melamine, you'll end up cutting clear through the sheet when you install t-track anyway- what about installing the t-track on the ply and then cutting the melamine to fit the spaces created by the track, and screw from beneath. that makes it replaceable and easier to replace individual sections.

Peter Quinn
10-09-2014, 12:34 PM
I throw a sheet of cardboard down occasionally, a piece of Masonite or 1/4" MDF, even just red rosin paper I keep handy in a 200' roll to catch glue squeeze and gunk from laminations. My bench top is solid maple butcher block, it can take a hit, but I still don't want to be scraping of more junk than I have to. If it's phenolic coated birch, the stuff is pretty tough to begin with, no special precautions required other than catching spills and drips for convience.

Steve Peterson
10-09-2014, 1:00 PM
All I have ever done for my melamine benchtops is apply a coat of paste wax to make it easier to clean up glue drips.

Steve