PDA

View Full Version : Flat FastCap Tape Measures

Mark W Pugh
10-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Any comments? I need a new one. Other ideas accepted!!

lowell holmes
10-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Amazon said they would be happy to send you one. :)

Peter Quinn
10-09-2014, 2:58 PM
I have one, they advertise as a "panel tape". Not especially useful as such give it's flexible nature, but it makes an excellent tool for measuring radius work that would be difficult otherwise. It earns a spot in my box for that....for flat work not so much. Occasionally I'll use it for laying out a story pole too, a few spring clamps and it sits nicely in place.

David Gutierrez
10-09-2014, 3:12 PM
have one and love it when I need it. better accuracy for my old eyes when it is on a flat surface for layout. it will not replace a standard tape because it so flexible.

Erik Christensen
10-09-2014, 5:01 PM
i have a couple - they are easier to use for measuring/marking on flat surfaces but less useful for other stuff (measure an opening and you have to hold both ends vs a standard tape that can span a distance unsupported) - easier to mark for tight tolerances as the tape is already flat to the surface.

John McClanahan
10-09-2014, 5:59 PM
The are for "outside" measurements only. The end hook is not designed for "inside" measurements. The Fastcap brand seems to be good quality.

John

George Bokros
10-09-2014, 7:02 PM
I have a FastCap tape, not the flat back, and I love it. The flat back would be nice for laying out on sheet stock but I do not feel I need it.

keith micinski
10-09-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm the opposite. I love all of my fastback tapes and love the flat one for layout and accurate marking but wish they were made of a much higher quality. I break them all of the time just using them. I wish they were 30 bucks instead of 14 and were made to a much higher standard.

Ole Anderson
10-10-2014, 12:26 AM
I have one and it works great for sheet goods layout. I also have their lefty-righty, but it didn't do what I want. I hook on the right side of the panel holding the tape with my left hand so I can mark with my right hand and read at the top of the tape, it still reads upside down. But I do like that 16ths are called out. I guess my wanting to read the top of the tape is the issue. Does everybody else prefer reading the bottom of the tape?

Larry Browning
10-10-2014, 7:43 AM
I'm the opposite. I love all of my fastback tapes and love the flat one for layout and accurate marking but wish they were made of a much higher quality. I break them all of the time just using them. I wish they were 30 bucks instead of 14 and were made to a much higher standard.

Wow! You must be really hard on your tapes. I have had my flat fastcap for 8-10 years and it still is like the day it was new. I really disagree about the build quality. I have not found another brand that has better quality.

Mark W Pugh
10-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys. Just ordered two. One flat and one std.

Larry Frank
10-10-2014, 8:18 PM
I have a couple of the FastCap tapes including the flat back and love them. I have had them for more than 5 years and never broken one. I treat them reasonably carefully so that they stay accurate. I have found that abusing a tape especially the hook will result in small errors.