PDA

View Full Version : OT: Where I have been :) :) :)

Jeff Sudmeier
07-12-2005, 8:58 AM
Well everyone, I have been up to no good! As some of you may know, my wife and I love to camp. We used to have a 12' coleman pop up which we enjoyed throughly. Over time though, my wife has liked the pop up less and less. She really wanted more comforts... Also, this purchase in in prep for the reason behind the Super Secret projects :)

So we decided to upgrade to a 21 foot Expandable travel trailer. It is basically a standard travel trailer, with fold down beds on each end. The beds on each end have canvas surrounding them. In travel, they are folded up, when you get to your destination, you can fold them down if you would like.

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuz26/Hybrid_Front.sized.jpg
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuz26/Hybrid_Curb_Side.sized.jpg

Here is a picture with the Slide Out, in:
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuz26/Hybrid_Inside_Slide_In.sized.jpg

And one with it out:

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuz26/Hybrid_Inside_Slide_Out.sized.jpg

And the link to all of the pics. (http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuz26&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php)

Dennis Peacock
07-12-2005, 9:11 AM
Very nice and CONGRATS Jeff!!!!! The LOML and I have been thinking about a Pop-Up but we'd need one to sleep 6 people very comfortably and were thinking that getting one that slept 8 would provide us with the space to make it comfortable. Am I thinking right on this? We won't purchase new as the prices are more than I paid for my new car that I bought just 3 years ago and I refuse to "pull" something that cost more that my car.!! :eek: :rolleyes:

How is the pricing on the model you just purchased? Is it comparable to the price of a good pop-up? Just curious.

Once again Jeff....CONGRATS!!!! I'm very proud for ya.!! :)

Jeff Sudmeier
07-12-2005, 9:47 AM
The LOML and I have been thinking about a Pop-Up but we'd need one to sleep 6 people very comfortably and were thinking that getting one that slept 8 would provide us with the space to make it comfortable. Am I thinking right on this?

Dennis,

You are thinking pretty correctly on this one. I would be looking at the 12 footers if I were you. Anything less than that and 6 is not going to be comfortable. The 4 that get to sleep in the bunk ends are going to be the most comfortable. The problem with the popups is that two sleep on the dinette and it is just a little short for most people.

We won't purchase new as the prices are more than I paid for my new car that I bought just 3 years ago and I refuse to "pull" something that cost more that my car.!! :eek: :rolleyes:

I hear ya! The trailer did cost more than the blazer it is hitched to! :)

How is the pricing on the model you just purchased? Is it comparable to the price of a good pop-up? Just curious.

Once again Jeff....CONGRATS!!!! I'm very proud for ya.!! :)

It is very hard to compare the prices, because most of the pop ups, don't come with the options that the hybrid does. For example, the base model of my hybrid costs about $12K. That includes the bathroom, furnace, water heater, water pump, tanks, fantastic fan, bunk end fans, etc. In a pop up those are all options. To set up a pop up, with the same options, it would be about 10-11K, new. Then you add AC (About the same cost for both). Mine also has an oven and a microwave, both are not available in a pop up.

So long story short, if you accessorize them the same, you are looking at about a grand difference.

Mine was $13,500 and that included the full bathroom, AC, Furnace, Electric/DSI water heater, Oven, Microwave, sound system, Bunk End lights, fantastic fan and some other things I can't remember! :)

A pop up, with similar options can push 12K. For the little bit of extra money, it was well worth not having to pop up and down for me.

Now don't get me wrong, I loved my Pop Up, this is just so much nicer!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Jeff....nice trailer! Goods times to be had in the future!

Dennis....if you are willing to consider used you might want to look at a full sized travel trailer. My wife and I bought a 2 year old, 26' 5th wheel for less than Jeff paid for his popup. It has a/c, heat, sleeps 6 using the table, couch folds down, 2 single beds. It has a full sized bath, microwave, wired for cable tv, tv antenna with amplifier, builtin stereo, large refrigerator w/ freezer, 40 gallon fresh water tank, 40 gallon grey water tank and 40 gallon black water tank. Our camping friends call it "plush" ....it was about $12,000. Big drawback, it weighs 8300 lbs.

Charles McKinley
07-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Hi Jeff,

Very nice trailer. I hope it serves you well.

How does the blazer do pulling it?

Mark Singer
07-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Very nice Jeff...use it....I had one and it kinda sat there...

Ken Garlock
07-12-2005, 1:07 PM
We won't purchase new as the prices are more than I paid for my new car that I bought just 3 years ago and I refuse to "pull" something that cost more that my car.!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Well Dennis, do it the other way around, let the RV pull the car. A couple years ago as I was motoring down I-635 on the North side of Dallas. I passed a motorized Air Stream Land Yacht pulling a 4 wheel trailer with a new Cadillac on board. Right there and them I decided that any other rig was a step down :cool: That was probably more money than most people spend on their homes :eek:

Jeff Sudmeier
07-12-2005, 1:29 PM
Very nice Jeff...use it....I had one and it kinda sat there...

Mark we get out over once a month from April through October. Normally about 10 trips a year. When you start thinking about what it costs per trip, well it's scarry :) Aww well, the joy we have during those trips is worth every penny!

Hi Jeff,

Very nice trailer. I hope it serves you well.

How does the blazer do pulling it?

Charles,

It actually does better than I thought it would. I am within the towing limits and GVWR, but not by much. I don't push the blazer hard and she does great! Up hills will be a little slow, but normall driving she trudges right along.

John Miliunas
07-12-2005, 3:04 PM
Congrats Jeff! I know you'll use it and enjoy, so there's the justification. Although I enjoy camping, LOML's idea of "roughing it" is a motel room that doesn't have its own hot tub!:rolleyes: :) :cool:

Norman Hitt
07-12-2005, 3:28 PM
Congrats Jeff! I know you'll use it and enjoy, so there's the justification. Although I enjoy camping, LOML's idea of "roughing it" is a motel room that doesn't have its own hot tub!:rolleyes: :) :cool:

Gee, John, I didn't even know my wife Had a Sister. :D Her Idea of Roughing it, is to run short of Towels at the Downtown Hilton, :( , But, she has gotten a LITTLE better about it over the years. :)

Congratulations on the new BIG TOY, Jeff, and have Lots of fun with it.

Jeff Sudmeier
07-12-2005, 3:34 PM
I truely do have a great wife! We went to a wedding this weekend and stayed in a cheap motel. I KNOW my camper was nicer than that motel room!

John Miliunas
07-12-2005, 3:38 PM
Gee, John, I didn't even know my wife Had a Sister. :D Her Idea of Roughing it, is to run short of Towels at the Downtown Hilton, :( , But, she has gotten a LITTLE better about it over the years. :)

Congratulations on the new BIG TOY, Jeff, and have Lots of fun with it.

Yeah, actually Jill has gotten better about it, too. Especially now, when checking for package prices in FL, certain amenities can double or even triple the price of a week's stay!:eek: For me, it's a lot easier. I'm going to see my girls, not spend 1/2 the time in the stupid hotel! Give me a clean room with a bed and shower w/some towels and I'm good to go!:) :cool:

Ernie Nyvall
07-12-2005, 9:24 PM
Jeff, I've noticed you've been missing in action. Congratulations on the camper. It looks great.

Ernie

Jeff Sudmeier
07-13-2005, 9:57 AM
Ernie,

I have never used a travel trailer before so there are lots of new systems to read up on. My limited online time has been spent doing much reading and surfing at the various RV and TT forums.

Rest assured I still love woodworking, it has just taken a slight back seat for now, until the weather turns too cold to camp :)

Vaughn McMillan
07-14-2005, 12:15 AM
Congrats on the nice rig, Jeff. Looks like a good way to save some towing weight and still get a ton of amenities.

Like John and others, the LOML doesn't do camping, so I'll likely never be able to own a nice setup like yours. She might be persuaded to spend a weekend in a rented Class A motorhome, but below that, I'm on my own, so I've just tented it the few times I've gone camping since meeting her. In earlier times, I've done a variety of roughing it, from snow camping in -20* winter weather to living for about 6 months in a 26-foot travel trailer (working on an out-of-town project and pocketing much of the per diem money). Wish I could do more camping now, but all my camping buddies live 800 miles away. Plus, my few camping trips since moving to the LA area 14 years ago have only reminded me that there are just too many people in California. :rolleyes: At least the part I live in.

- Vaughn