PDA

View Full Version : woodturning classes

Jim Seifert
10-09-2014, 8:24 AM
I would like to get some advice on basic woodturning classes from members that attended. The two schools that I'm considering are The Marc Adams school in Indiana or the basic class at Craft Supplies in Utah. My budget only allows me to attend one so I would like to get the most for my money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, also if anyone has attended another school I'd like to hear about them also. Thanks, Jim Seifert

Greg McClurg
10-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Jim,

I've attended 2 classes at Craft Supplies and enjoyed both of them very much. I have a friend that is currently taking the 5 day basic class and is loving it. Craft Supplies is a top notch organization...I don't think you would be disappointed. I can't speak on the Marc Adams school.

Greg

Jim Seyfried
10-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Jim, have you considered joining or going to a local chapter of the AAW. It doesn't show where your location is but there is probably one near you. Most clubs also have mentoring days and people willing to teach basic skills. I have never attended the schools that you have mentioned and have only heard good things about them. I am only mentioning other options. I have benefited greatly from local expertise, guest demonstrators and classes put on by the MAW. You might get more bang for your buck if you can learn some of the basics locally and then attend a class at one of the places mentioned.

Paul Williams
10-09-2014, 2:30 PM
I will be in Utah later this month. Does Craft Supplies have a retail store? is it worth looking up while I am there?

Dwight Rutherford
10-09-2014, 3:21 PM
They have a very nice store in Provo. Address is listed on their website. Bring money!

allen thunem
10-09-2014, 4:44 PM
yes paul the store is right next door
you will have ample time afforded to you to browse and buy. in fact thats the first thing you will see as you go upstairs for an orientation meeting.

John Keeton
10-09-2014, 5:33 PM
John C. Campbell Folk School has a variety of turning classes throughout the year. Excellent venue, too.

Larry Matchett
10-09-2014, 8:07 PM
Jimmy Clewes puts on a great class. Vegas is also a fun place to go.

Bruce Pratt
10-09-2014, 8:12 PM
Also consider David Ellsworth. He does 3 day classes in Quakertown PA.

allen thunem
10-09-2014, 9:17 PM
also don't leave arrowmont out of the conversation

David Gilbert
10-09-2014, 9:54 PM
I took a five day class with Glenn Lucas at Arrowmont in September. It was lots of fun and we all learned a lot. The classes, food, and accommodations at Arrowmont are first class.

Cheers,
David

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-09-2014, 9:56 PM
Marc Adams has some very good classes, & is a 1st class facility ( the food was great too ). I assisted Steve Sinner for a week long class there a couple of years ago.
The thing is with any of these schools is to be sure you take the right class for you. Some of the classes are geared towards beginners and some are geared towards more advanced skill levels. There should be a summery for each class offered and they will usually say what skill level the class is geared towards.
I have also spent a week assisting Steve Sinner for class at Arrowmont, It's a first class school also.
Good luck on your choice & most of all have fun and keep a open mind.

Wally Dickerman
10-09-2014, 10:03 PM
If you have a local Woodcraft store check out their classes. They offer I day classes for not much money. I taught bowl and HF turning at one for 10 years

You're doing the smart thing. Videos and books are good but nothing beats hands on classes for learning woodturning.

John Beaver
10-09-2014, 10:21 PM
I agree with Wally that you are smart taking a class. There are so many great choices out there. The main thing is to make sure the teacher is the right one. By going directly to Jimmy Clewes, David Ellsworth, Jerry Kermode, Bill Grumbine, or one of the other known names you know you will get great instruction that is right for you. Do your homework on the school or the teacher and make sure the class is what you need. If you happen to find someone like Glenn Lucas teaching at one of the schools that could be a good choice.

guy laizure
10-10-2014, 10:41 AM
I took the basic class at Craft Supplies a few years ago.Kirk Deheer was the instructer.I had never turned a bowl or platter and at the end of the week I came home with a couple of bowls and platters that I had turned.Their facility was top notch.

Grant Wilkinson
10-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Where are you?

I have taken two sessions with Bill Grumbine and would very highly recommend Bill. One on one, if you like, but a max of 3 students. Lots of fun, lots of turning and great value for the money.

Sean Troy
10-10-2014, 11:04 AM
I see Stuart Batty will be demonstrating at Woodcraft of Denver this month. If you could swing it, it would be well worth it. Contact him ahead of time and you might get some one on one time with him. IMHO, he's the best turning teacher out there. Not that aren't lot's of good teachers, he just makes it easy to understand and covers most things you'll need.

Reed Gray
10-10-2014, 12:52 PM
Heck Jim, if you are in my neck of the woods, stop on by.

robo hippy

Pat Scott
10-11-2014, 11:59 AM
I've taken 5 classes at Craft Supplies. I say what better way to spend a weeks vacation than to turn 5-days a week from 8-5.

Craft Supplies classes are top notch as others have said. I've been lucky to have Kirk DeHeer as the assistant for 3 or 4 of my classes. You can learn a lot from him. They do have a store front that you can browse through while you're there, but many people are disappointed in how small it is. Craft Supplies is 99% mail order, so they don't have a huge store. If you want to look and touch something that isn't on display, they are more than happy to have it brought over from the warehouse next door for you to look at. If it's not what you want, no problem and no pressure.