PDA

View Full Version : New bandsaw not working!

Steve Paxman
10-08-2014, 11:51 PM
Just took delivery today of the Jet 14DXPro bandsaw. Beautiful packaging, no damage, saw looks great. Spent a couple of hours assembling, adjusting, cleaning, leveling, all the regular stuff. Even touched up the paint in a couple of spots on the cast iron frame where it wasn't totally covering from their spray booth.

Plugged it in (outlet works, I checked), hit the green start button, and nothing. Not a sound. No loose wires in the switch connection, or in the place where the cord goes into the motor. Wired correctly for voltage, too.

This is extremely aggravating. I know, there are always going to be a few saws out of many that have some problem, and someone is going to get those saws and have to deal with it. I just wish it weren't me!

i wonder if I can get Jet to send me a fence or something for free for my troubles once we get this all sorted out!

Phil Barrett
10-09-2014, 12:50 AM
Let us know how Jet responds. Good luck on getting a freebee out of them.

If it were me, I trace down the voltage through the switch to the motor. It's probably not the capacitor as you would probably hear a hum. My money's on a bad switch.

Brian Hale
10-09-2014, 5:53 AM
Did you check the safety switchs on the doors?

Butch Spears
10-09-2014, 6:44 AM
My mini has a red turn off button that you just push to turn off. You have to turn the red button and it pops out, then you can push the on button. but until you do the turn the red button, the turn on button will not work. safety switch. I know it is not same brand, just see if yours has something like that. " How do I know" I could not turn mine on either when I got it.

Andrew Kertesz
10-09-2014, 7:29 AM
I had a motor issue with my Rikon when I first bought it and got a fence for my troubles... This was several years ago.

roger wiegand
10-09-2014, 8:44 AM
Is there a thermal reset button on the motor? Might give it a push just to be sure.

Mark Bolton
10-09-2014, 9:11 AM
Sure sounds like a master kill switch or the door safety switch if it has them.

Erik Loza
10-09-2014, 9:19 AM
Sure sounds like a master kill switch or the door safety switch if it has them.

My thoughts as well. Best of luck. I'm sure it's something simple.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Jim Sodam
10-09-2014, 9:28 AM
I had the same issue with the same saw just a few weeks ago, it was just a bad switch. Jet sent a new one out right away, no issues.

Do you have a voltmeter to check the wire going from the switch to the motor?

Steve Paxman
10-09-2014, 10:17 AM
I just got off the phone with Jet. They agree it sounds like the switch is the issue. They are sending a new one. Very frustrating, of course, because I really wanted the bandsaw this weekend to get some work done, but whatever. I hope this fixes it!

Gus Dundon
10-09-2014, 4:22 PM
That's what I thought to. Hope everything will be okay.

Mike Heidrick
10-09-2014, 4:37 PM
How are the switch leads connected to the switch? You might be able to use it this weekend yet with a temp work around. 14DXpro does not sound like it would have any more than a simple 120V 20A rated DPST switch. Have a picture? We can sort you out.

Steve Paxman
10-09-2014, 11:49 PM
How are the switch leads connected to the switch? You might be able to use it this weekend yet with a temp work around. 14DXpro does not sound like it would have any more than a simple 120V 20A rated DPST switch. Have a picture? We can sort you out.

Mike, it's a very basic switch. I could wire up a spare light switch I probably have laying around the garage for a temporary solution, and if it takes too long for the part to come, I might do that! In the meantime, I still have my old shaky bandsaw out there that I haven't sold yet, so I'm sure I'll survive.

(First world problems, right? Having to keep using your old bandsaw while you wait for the parts to your new bandsaw to come in...)

David Kumm
10-10-2014, 12:04 AM
When yu get into machinery, be prepared for that type of stuff to happen. Even the high end stuff has problems occasionally. Electrical seems to be a common problem. I have a room full of parts for proof. Dave

Erik Loza
10-10-2014, 9:36 AM
When yu get into machinery, be prepared for that type of stuff to happen...

+1 on this ^^^. Or, cosmetic freight damage: Nicks, dings, scratches, that sort of thing.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Mike Heidrick
10-10-2014, 2:37 PM
Or, cosmetic freight damage: Nicks, dings, scratches, that sort of thing.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

At $3-4K for a 20"+ MM bandsaw why not include the self adhesive removeable 10mil wrap stuff they put on cars for freight shipping them? It would aleviate a lot of the nicks dings scratches etc. Would be a cool way to separate MM from the competition.

David Kumm
10-10-2014, 3:58 PM
At $3-4K for a 20"+ MM bandsaw why not include the self adhesive removeable 10mil wrap stuff they put on cars for freight shipping them? It would aleviate a lot of the nicks dings scratches etc. Would be a cool way to separate MM from the competition.

I like the idea although if you talk to the dent guys, a fair amount of their business comes from taking dings out of new cars off the truck. Dave

Erik Loza
10-11-2014, 1:25 PM

You know, I do not see a lot of freight damage to the bandsaws. Perhaps surprisingly. At least not these days. Dented motor fan covers from time to time but never really anything catastrophic. Not sure how any of the other Euro machine mfrs. crate theirs but we switched from shipping all small/medium-sized bandsaws in vertical crates (standing up) to horizontal crates (laying down) about six years ago and that made a night and day difference in the number of freight claims. What used to happen was that the machine would arrive fine to the local terminal but from that point to the customer's site, the local delivery driver would somehow find a way to "not" secure the crate to the sides of the truck and then, huge surprise, get's to the customers' place and the bandsaw is on its side. The whole lying down-thing seems to have solved all that.

Also, the crate (at least ours...) is an open wooden frame, which you can clearly see the machine through. I suspect this helps because the forklift drivers in the various warehouses actually seem to treat crates more carefully when they can see what is inside. For example, cannot tell you the number of times I have a regular cardboard box like some of the other machines ship in, get stabbed by the forks or backed into by a forklift. The box looks more or less OK from the outside but of course, "surprise", once you open it. Yet this never seems to happen to the bandsaws. Anyhow, that was a long answer to a short question!

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Steve Paxman
10-15-2014, 11:57 PM
Good news (in case anyone notices this): Jet sent the replacement switch, it took me all of about 5 minutes to install it, and it turned right on. Even with just the included stock blade, it actually cuts very smoothly and vibration free. I had no idea a bandsaw could be this nice!

So there you have it. Thanks for the support, all!

lowell holmes
10-16-2014, 7:05 AM
I'm glad they came through for you!

I know you were frustrated. I would have been.

glenn bradley
10-16-2014, 8:26 AM
Great news Steve.