PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Goof?

Sean Troy
10-08-2014, 5:50 PM
UPS dropped off a package from Amazon to me today with my name and address correct. It's a 120" Vapex projector screen. Only problem is, I didn't order it. I checked my Amazon account and it's not on there or any charges either. How does this happen? I'm not even sure what to do with it. Could it be some weird type of scam? Who knows these days. Sean

Wade Lippman
10-08-2014, 6:00 PM
Um, contact Amazon and ask what is going on?

Bruce Page
10-08-2014, 6:46 PM
Contact Amazon. Someone is waiting for it to be delivered.

John Coloccia
10-08-2014, 6:51 PM
Could be a gift. I've had that happen to me. "Hey, what's this? I didn't order this." A few weeks later my dad asks, "Hey, did you get that popcorn popper/carrot slicer/crock pot I sent you?" Oh...I should have known.

Chris Padilla
10-08-2014, 7:00 PM
My Vapex projector screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been waiting for that FOREVER!!!

;)

John Coloccia
10-08-2014, 7:13 PM
If I were you, I'd call them up all indignant and ask them were your projector is.

Bill Orbine
10-08-2014, 7:27 PM
I'll bring the popcorn!

Sean Troy
10-08-2014, 7:30 PM
I plan on contacting Amazon, just wondering how something like this could happen?

Frederick Skelly
10-08-2014, 7:57 PM
If I were you, I'd call them up all indignant and ask them were your projector is.

Now THAT's funny!

Wade Lippman
10-08-2014, 8:27 PM
Did you order anything from Amazon? I once got the wrong thing from them; it happens.

I also once came home to find 2 large pine trees in my driveway. I wanted some, but hadn't ordered any. I called every nursery I had spoken to that had them available, but no one delivered them. I asked my neighbors if they had seen a truck; nope. Called everyone that might have sent me a present; nah. I waited a day, but then had to plant them or let them die, as I was going out of town.
A week later I got an invoice from a nursery that told me they didn't have any. They actually expected to be paid; nope.

Sean Troy
10-08-2014, 9:00 PM
Did you order anything from Amazon? I once got the wrong thing from them; it happens.

I also once came home to find 2 large pine trees in my driveway. I wanted some, but hadn't ordered any. I called every nursery I had spoken to that had them available, but no one delivered them. I asked my neighbors if they had seen a truck; nope. Called everyone that might have sent me a present; nah. I waited a day, but then had to plant them or let them die, as I was going out of town.
A week later I got an invoice from a nursery that told me they didn't have any. They actually expected to be paid; nope.
I did order something from Amazon but I got that at the same time.

glenn bradley
10-08-2014, 10:23 PM
I plan on contacting Amazon, just wondering how something like this could happen?

You left your computer logged on to Amazon and someone at your house wanted a projection screen?

Paul Hinds
10-08-2014, 10:58 PM
I ordered a pair of safety goggles off Amazon some time back and got them and all was well and about a week later my wife ordered a book from Amazon and when it arrived she had an un-billed pair of safety goggles which she though was some kind of promotional freebie. She does have the same address that I do, but a different last name so it was a bit weird. Amazon does screw things up sometimes. They do zillions of deals a year so a few mistakes can be expected. She gave the goggles to the shop teacher at the school she works at since the dollar amount was too small to be worth any hassle.

Sean Troy
10-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Gave Amazon they asked for to find out whats up. they will probably send a pre paid shipping label and I'll take to the nearest UPS store.

Sean Troy
10-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Two times now I sent the information Amazon requested so they can figure out whats up and twice they replied they didn't understand what I was asking. I'm not the one who asked for the tracking info. Is this world really becoming that brain dead?

Steve Peterson
10-09-2014, 12:54 PM
I suspect that someone in your neighborhood is using a stolen credit card to order things. They can't ship it to their house because it would be too easy for the police to find them, so they have it shipped to a random house nearby. Then they sneak over and pick it up after UPS drops it off. You are going to have some seriously upset drug addicts if you send it back to Amazon. :)

Steve

Sean Troy
10-09-2014, 1:03 PM
I suspect that someone in your neighborhood is using a stolen credit card to order things. They can't ship it to their house because it would be too easy for the police to find them, so they have it shipped to a random house nearby. Then they sneak over and pick it up after UPS drops it off. You are going to have some seriously upset drug addicts if you send it back to Amazon. :)

Steve
That didn't work out too well for them did it? ;)

Moses Yoder
10-09-2014, 5:26 PM
Legally that is yours. They delivered it to your house and left it there. I would make one attempt to let them know they made a mistake and then after that let them figure it out. I would put it somewhere for a couple weeks and let them figure it out. You can probably sell it for a substantial amount of money.

Myk Rian
10-09-2014, 6:07 PM
You can probably sell it for a substantial amount of money.
To the guy with the projector.

Sean Troy
10-09-2014, 7:20 PM
Legally that is yours. They delivered it to your house and left it there. I would make one attempt to let them know they made a mistake and then after that let them figure it out. I would put it somewhere for a couple weeks and let them figure it out. You can probably sell it for a substantial amount of money.
I've made 3 attempts with Amazon so far. Now I'm done. I will wait a bit to hear from them.

John Goodin
10-09-2014, 9:48 PM
A three tiered bird bath fountain was left at my door once in a similar situation. Called amazon and they said it was their mistake but to keep it since it would cost too much to ship back. Put it on ebay but could only get less 20 bucks because it was so horribly ugly.

Rich Harkrader
10-11-2014, 9:14 AM
I did some contract software development for Amazon for a while. What you need to understand is that while their technical staff is top notch and paid accordingly, most of the rest of their employees are bottom of the barrel misfit high school dropout types who are paid minimum wage.

Wade Lippman
10-11-2014, 9:51 PM
Can you say "illegal conversion"?

Sean Troy
10-11-2014, 10:16 PM

??????????

Moses Yoder
10-12-2014, 4:18 AM

Yes I can. You have accused me of wrong doing with no explanation. So far as I know the law has been for a long time and still is that if someone delivers something to your home it is legally yours. You are saying if I send someone a greeting card it is still mine, it is not theirs to do with as they wish; if they throw it in the trash I can have them arrested for conversion.

John Coloccia
10-12-2014, 6:59 AM
The law is very simple. If someone ships you something that you didn't order, it's yours to keep, sell, donate, throw out, or otherwise dispose of however you wish. Doesn't matter if it was an honest mistake. It's up to you if you want to take the time and trouble to track down the sender, and it's up to you exactly how much time and trouble you're willing to put in shipping it back. Honestly, my patience with Amazon probably wouldn't have extended past the first phone call, especially if they were being obtuse and difficult. I'd probably just donate it to my church to get raffled off.

Mel Fulks
10-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Yeah. I ordered a bunch of archival boxes once that included someone else's order worth maybe twenty five dollars. Had
his name on it. Called the company and a woman thanked me and said I could send it back. Told her, I was just calling to
tell her to send out his order.

Wade Lippman
10-12-2014, 1:40 PM
The law is very simple. If someone ships you something that you didn't order, it's yours to keep, sell, donate, throw out, or otherwise dispose of however you wish.

Don't give legal advice when you don't know what you are talking about. Someone might rely on it and get hurt.

As a practical matter they might not want it back, or may ignore you when you advise them of the mistake; and then it is yours. But it is not yours just because it showed up on your doorstep.

Keith Outten
10-13-2014, 8:38 AM
Wade,

I believe John is right, Moses has the right to keep anything that he receives in the mail that he did not order. Its a very old law that helps prevent marketing groups from sending items in the mail and then demanding payment for goods that were not ordered. This happens often with magazines and other periodicals, its a brute sales technique that involves threats to turn the debt over to a collection agency if you don't pay for the items received.

Keith Outten
10-13-2014, 12:35 PM
Bill sent me this link that provides some information concerning this topic.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ed-merchandise (http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise)