PDA

View Full Version : any Woodworkers Journal subscribers ?

Todd Henry
10-07-2014, 10:40 PM
i am a subscriber and was planning on making the mirror in the May / June 2014 issue (actually two for my daughters. one from curly maple and one from purpleheart) but i have misplaced my copy. if someone has this issue, could you let me know the over all glass dimensions, the rail/ stile lengths, and the called out tenon dimensions ? i can reverse engineer it all of course, but if someone has the issue, an email or posting would be great.

Thanks

Todd

Wade Lippman
10-07-2014, 11:17 PM
As long as you are on the subject, I signed up for a free subscription. It asked for my credit card and I closed it out, but the first issue came anyhow.
The October Issue has a "special coupon offer" attached to the front cover, but there doesn't seem to be any actual offer in the thing it says to cut out. Did I not get it, or am I misunderstanding something?
Can't help you with May, October was my first.

John Stankus
10-07-2014, 11:38 PM
1/8" x 14" x 54" mirror glass
3/4 x 3 x 16 3/8 Rails
3/4 x 1 1/2 x 55 7/8 Stiles

Tenons are 1 1/4" long with 3/8 shoulder Tenons look pegged

Let me know if you need more

John

Duane Meadows
10-08-2014, 9:51 AM
As long as you are on the subject, I signed up for a free subscription. It asked for my credit card and I closed it out, but the first issue came anyhow.
The October Issue has a "special coupon offer" attached to the front cover, but there doesn't seem to be any actual offer in the thing it says to cut out. Did I not get it, or am I misunderstanding something?
Can't help you with May, October was my first.

Wade, I just looked at mine. Don't see any actual offer either! Must be an offer to buy as many as you want at regular price? Such a deal!

Todd, looking forward to pictures when you complete the mirrors!

PS: Wade I did email WJ and asked what the special offer was. Let you know if I get an answer!

Todd Henry
10-08-2014, 11:05 AM
Thanks John. Gonna start milling stock this weekend when I'm not routing the panels for 12 raised panel doors for my den. Sad, but the stock had been milled and sitting for about 6 months and I couldn't get myself to rout the cope and stick. I suggested a new project to my wife and she replied "would you just build the damn doors". Gotta love her...

Wade Lippman
10-08-2014, 11:19 AM
Wade, I just looked at mine. Don't see any actual offer either! Must be an offer to buy as many as you want at regular price? Such a deal!

Todd, looking forward to pictures when you complete the mirrors!

PS: Wade I did email WJ and asked what the special offer was. Let you know if I get an answer!
Thanks. I actually could use a blade.

Todd Henry
10-09-2014, 7:36 AM
I built a full length mirror for my wife two years ago and used a stock size mirror from Home Depot at 16"x60". Some calls to local mirror and glass stores for one that is 14"x54" have yielded crazy prices for the glass (like over $100 per piece) ? Any better ideas for locating mirror glass at this size ?

Thanks

Duane Meadows
10-09-2014, 8:05 AM
Have you ask them about cutting a 16"x60" one down? Hobby Lobby cuts glass, don't know if they will do a job like that, but it can't hurt to ask.

PS unless of course you want beveled edges, then will be fairly expensive.