PDA

View Full Version : possible minor lumber gloat

Brian D Smith
10-07-2014, 7:17 PM
So I got a tip for some lumber and went to check it out a few weeks back and just got it all to the new house and into my garage (which currrently is blown up from moving in still).

I feel like I got a great deal on this as it is all clear, very nice wood...with that sad I had no choice but to clean him out haha.

Picked up ~150 bf of ash. All 8.5-9 feet 6-10" wide. 5 pieces of 10/4 and the rest is just over 7/4. Thicker stuff is going to be my bench top when I build it in the spring, thinner stuff is going to be planned to around 6/4 and ripped to face frame the carcass of the bench. Got it for $1.50 bf.

Got 75 bf of clear cherry, 13.5 wide a little over 5/4 thich and 9 feet long. $1 bf.

80 bf of clear black walnut 11-12" wide, just under 5/4 and 6.5' long $1.50 bf.

~125 bf of ambrosia/ghost maple, very clear, actually not sure there is a knot in the pile at all. Been air drying for about 5 months so come next summer it will be good to go. Haven't seen this nice of an example locally so I had to get it because I have always loved the look of it, especially when mixed with walnut. $1 bf.

Also have yet to bring to the house, but I finished the haul with 25-30 bf of quilted maple. All clear and about 7-8" wide 4/4 thick and 7' long. $3 bf

That's it for now but here are a few crappy pictures...since it all isnt organiced yet it is hard to get at.

Brian

Brian D Smith
10-07-2014, 7:29 PM

Matt Day
10-07-2014, 7:30 PM
I think you made a typo - that's a major gloat!

If you're in NE Ohio I'll take some off your hands since you clearly have too much.

George Bokros
10-07-2014, 7:30 PM
You suck.

Nice find.

Brian D Smith
10-07-2014, 7:42 PM
Thank you!

Very pleased.

Im in central PA and I'm building the stash not depleating it ha!

Jesse Busenitz
10-07-2014, 7:51 PM
Oh you really suck!!!! Now the hard choice of how to use it all.... should make a nice bench.

Brian D Smith
10-07-2014, 8:36 PM
Yes I'm torn already on how to use the quilted maple. I was thinking a nice hall/entry table or a top to a side board for an empty spot in the kitchen that is calling for a piece of furniture to be put there.

Wade Lippman
10-07-2014, 8:48 PM
I have always wondered why people do that. He could have moved it quickly enough at twice the price.

But yeah, you suck.

Brian D Smith
10-07-2014, 9:17 PM
I have always wondered why people do that. He could have moved it quickly enough at twice the price.

But yeah, you suck.

Got the lead from a co-worker it was their neighbor.

I suspect it was right place right time and time crunch.

He was a retiring woodworker moving to Florida to be close to his grandkids from what he told me. Their home sold in under a week with a 30 day close so he had to move quick.

I also got a 2 hp bridgwood DC for another $100 and an older ridgid 24241 table saw he wasn't using that needs some minor work for another $50.

All in all it was a fantastic day.

Dan Masshardt
10-07-2014, 9:20 PM
Nice score You should be well stocked up!

Brian D Smith
10-07-2014, 9:21 PM
The deal of the year I missed out on though because I was on vacation and it was sold when I got home.

7,000 bf of cherry all 4/4-5/4 in long wide lengths. At a whopping 10 cents a bf, had to take it all. Had been stickered and covered air drying for a few years.

Wonder if someone on here got that?

Dan Masshardt
10-07-2014, 9:47 PM
The deal of the year I missed out on though because I was on vacation and it was sold when I got home. 7,000 bf of cherry all 4/4-5/4 in long wide lengths. At a whopping 10 cents a bf, had to take it all. Had been stickered and covered air drying for a few years. Wonder if someone on here got that?

Where are you finding all these leads Brian? Holy crap.

Brian D Smith
10-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Where are you finding all these leads Brian? Holy crap.

The stuff I bought was a co worker referral...they all know to tell me about anything to do with motorcycles and wood and to a certain extent vw/audi/Porsche cars, although I can't afford them haha.

The cherry deal I missed was...believe it or not...listed on craigslist under the general for sale section if I remember correctly. Not even the materials area...I searched cherry wood or lumber and it was burrried in the results. Sold in about 12 hours I think.

Ted Reischl
10-07-2014, 10:22 PM
There is a huge problem with cheap lumber:

Because you got it for cheap you may have a problem using it knowing that you will never get anymore for that price.

How do I know this? I have about 300 bf of beautiful walnut that I got about ten years ago for about 1.50/bf. Everytime I go to use some I think "Nahhhhhh, I will never get it again at this price." So I will probably croak and some clown will clean out my shop and toss it on a fire. Right after he buys my tools for about 2 cents on the dollar.

Brian D Smith
10-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Very good point! I always try to have an idea on use, at least a general idea, before buying. The ambrosia maple was an impulse since I was there and it was so pretty so we will see there.