PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioned Routers......

Corey Hallagan
07-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Have any of you guys invested in a "reconditioned" router from a tool dealer, namely Tool King? I am considering this but wonder if this is worth the 100.00 difference that is usually the price concession. I can afford to get several nice 3 HP models brand new like the Hitachi or the Dewalt 625 and others that are in the 225. - 250. price range, however I can bump up to a reconditioned Bosch or Milwaukee that are typically in the 325.00 range for a reconditioned price of 225 - 250.00 . Sorry and hope I am not driving you guys nuts with my router questions, just trying to do it right the first time :)

Thanks,
Corey

bill kiss
07-11-2005, 10:47 PM
I have purchased several reconditioned tools from Tyler Tool (including a PC router) I have had no problems. Price is much better than new and on 2 of the tools I would never have known they were reconditioned.;)

Chris Mann
07-11-2005, 10:54 PM
I just got a dewalt 625 from them. Works fine. And the reconditioned dewalts carry the same warranty as the new tools.

Steve Clardy
07-11-2005, 11:06 PM
I've gotten several PC routers reconed. Just like new, same warranty.

Allen Bookout
07-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Corey, I got a recon Dewalt 735 planner from Tool King several months ago and I cannot tell it from new. However I am not running it all day, every day, so I do not know how it would hold up under those conditions compaired to a new one but from what I have seen so far I suspect it would hold up just as well. I also have a recon nail gun that is holding up right along with a new one of the same brand but different model. From what I have seen I think that the chances of getting a good reconditioned tool are just as good as getting a good new one. We all know that you can get lemons at times new or reconditioned.

Personally I will continue to buy reconditioned tools from reputable dealers until I get burned more that once. So far the burn rate is zero.

John Cavanaugh
07-12-2005, 2:47 AM
Corey,

Ive bought a lot of my tools refurbed and Ive been happy with them, especially the prices. The only time I had an issue was with the compressor, it leaked when it arrived, one quick trip to my local dewalt service center and everything is all good.

My current list of refurbed purchases:

Dewalt 735 Planer (From Amazon)
Bosch Belt Sander (From CPOTools)
Skil Trim Saw (From CPOTools)
Dewalt Hammer Drill, cant remember the model (From Tool King)
Dewalt DW55155 Air Compressor (From Amazon Seller)

--
John Cavanaugh

Norman Hitt
07-12-2005, 3:15 AM
Cory, I bought a Hitachi M-12V and a DeWalt 14.4V XRP drill, both Reconditioned from Amazon, and they've both been fine. (Unfortunately, less than a year later, they started selling the M-12V "NEW" for the same price I paid for my Reconditioned one) :(

Corey Hallagan
07-12-2005, 8:48 AM
Thanks guys, now to decide which one :) Decisions decisions!

Corey

Jim Becker
07-12-2005, 8:54 AM
In general, recons are very good values and I've bought several over the years. Do your homework, however. While most recons are just because they were open-box returns or warranty exchanges for some correctable issue, there have been a few times when "a lot" of a particular product arrived on the recon list. The PC 7529 router is a good example...early versions of it had some bad recurring switch issues (a design flaw) and many ended up on the recon market. In other words, know all about what you are buying.

Jim Dannels
07-12-2005, 10:45 AM
On a straight run of production items 1 in 1000(or a much higher qty) may be ran through a quality audit. When an item comes back to the bench for a problem it will not leave the bench until it has gone through a complete quality audit.
So you can be sure a reconditioned item has met all specs.
As long as the item is advertized as reconditioned, and price reflects that I consider it a better value than a production run item.

James Mudler
07-12-2005, 11:13 AM
With as many problems I have had with my PC 7529 - I would any name brand reconditioned and think it is better than the 7529 new.

Jim - nailed my issue with the 7529.

Jim W. White
07-12-2005, 11:46 AM
I bought a reconditioned Dewalt 621 a couple of years back from International Tool. No problems at all.

As the others have said, reconditioned actually means the tool in most cases has undergone further scrutinity to assure you are not receiving something that will be DOA.

Jim Hinze
07-12-2005, 12:21 PM
I bought my M12V reconditioned off of e-bay about 2 years ago and it's still going strong. It's a great way to get a good tool at a good price.