PDA

View Full Version : Securing mirror to cabinet doors

Keri Gollance
10-06-2014, 9:13 PM
Hello

I am building cabinet doors with inset mirrors. I have an 1/2 rabbet and the mirror and fretwork is 1/4 inch. I was planning on putting 1/4 ply over the mirror for protection (lots of young kids here) however not sure the best way to secure the ply to the frame? I was looking at 1 inch picture frame turn buttons but not sure they will hold? Any suggestions as I do want the ply for protection. The ply would basically back the mirror and be flush with the back of the door frame. Pics included.

Jerry Miner
10-06-2014, 9:48 PM
I have used these:

panel clips (http://www.wwhardware.com/glass-and-panel-retainer-clips-bx1803)

Keri Gollance
10-06-2014, 9:57 PM
Thank you for the reply. Sorry to bother - but do you think they would work better than these:

http://www.amazon.com/Plated-Ridged-Picture-Button-Screws/dp/B00BTI391E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412646931&sr=8-2&keywords=picture+frame+turn+button#productDetails

Thanks
Keri

Jerry Miner
10-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Not sure about that particular product, but some "picture frame buttons" are made from very thin metal and are consequently weak. You certainly could try them. I know the plastic ones work.

Keri Gollance
10-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Thanks so much. I'm going to try the ones you suggest.

Jim Becker
10-07-2014, 4:35 PM
When I have something like this in a rabbet, I would use wood strips that are fastened only with 23 gage pins so it's easy to remove and replace the glass if necessary. Backing it up with some plywood is a very good idea as it will lend structural rigidity. Be sure your hinges can handle the weight however...

Peter Quinn
10-07-2014, 7:27 PM
Mirrors require a second rabbet, a stepped rabbet, that continues past the first one but is not as deep. Simply run a second rabbet in the back, square up the corners, make the plywood fit the now larger rabbit and screw the plywood backer on. I don't trust those little clips, and I don't like looking at them when the door is open. I've used little black screws, IIR they were 5/8 #5, had to track them down on the net, in the back of a mahogany door they are quite inconspicuous.

here is the basic idea. http://www.infinitytools.com/Stepped-Rabbeting-Router-Bit/products/1813/, though you don't need specialized tooling to do this.

Keri Gollance
10-07-2014, 7:55 PM
Thanks Jim

yes - I am worried about the weight. The panels are 29 x 32 and with the frames, mirror and plywood they have become quite heavy. I have planned for 3 hinges - hopefully that will hold? But as usual, I build, then plan and then fix....

Keri Gollance
10-07-2014, 7:56 PM
Thank you. That's perfect. Next set of doors I will try it. Too far along on this point.

Keri

Peter Quinn
10-07-2014, 8:20 PM
If you have clearance to the rear (i.e. no interaction with shelves etc) you could make a rabbeted glass stop, say a 7/16" X 7/8" strip with a 3/8"X 1/4" rabbit taken out. Miter these around the back, glue and pin nail the corners, screw the glass stop on. Very secure, makes a good retro fit, does not allow a flush back if that is required but it has a very finished look when doors are open. I did about 30 doors this way this summer to hold in some metal mesh panels, very secure way to hold in heavy glass or panels. If you can use 1/8" plywood that could be accommodated also with this approach, 1/4" would require the strips as Jim suggested above.

Jim Becker
10-09-2014, 4:28 PM
Don't forget that relative to the hinges holding the weight over time, the same applies to the screws holding the hinges...select carefully.