PDA

View Full Version : The AeroPress is a Wonderful Single Cup Coffee Maker

Andrew Joiner
10-06-2014, 6:55 PM
8 years ago I got tired of the rising prices for pods for our espresso machine. I tried an AeroPress and never looked back. It makes an excellent cup of coffee at a low cost.
I have a friend in the coffee business who was sold on the Melitta single cup method. He was amazed at the AeroPress cup I made for him and bought several AeroPress's for associates in his import business.
Any other AeroPress fans here?

Jim Matthews
10-06-2014, 9:41 PM
Guilty.

I use Bustelo espresso in mine.

The plastic gets "scoured" after a year in
our hard water.

Better than any French Press I've ever owned.

Andrew Joiner
10-07-2014, 2:20 PM
Yes, it's like french press on steroids! However there's never any grounds in the coffee. With the paper filters you can use a fine grind to extract more brew with less coffee . I like Bustelo espresso as well. Lately I buy lots of beans on sale and grind a weeks worth at a time. It's cheaper and tastier than Bustelo.
The other cool parts compared to the Mr Coffee style coffeemaker-
1- No waste and always a fresh cup.
2- No moldy smell. Even after a through cleaning the Mr Coffee style has water sitting inside the mechanism to grow mold.

No affiliation with the product, just a huge fan. I get excited when I find a simple low-cost product that really works.

Jim Matthews
10-07-2014, 2:51 PM
Be aware that the water used may scour the plastic wall,
to the point that the rubber stopper no longer seals.

At that point, it functions as a mechanical plunger.
Still works - but you'll lose the Crema.

Andrew Joiner
10-07-2014, 3:00 PM
Yes that happened to my first one after 5 years of twice daily use. The only downside to it I've found.

Mark Bolton
10-07-2014, 3:07 PM
Do you guys use it inverted?

Andrew Joiner
10-07-2014, 7:33 PM
Yes, I started using the inverted method several years ago.

Andrew Joiner
10-29-2014, 3:15 PM
Be aware that the water used may scour the plastic wall,
to the point that the rubber stopper no longer seals.

At that point, it functions as a mechanical plunger.
Still works - but you'll lose the Crema.

Jim, The maker Aerobie is really good about issues like that. My first 6 year old chamber is clear and never got any crazing in the inner walls. I bought a new Aeropress a year or 2 ago mainly to replace the worn rubber seal. It's smoke colored and it crazed within a year. Now I use my old clear chamber with my newer plunger. Today I called Aerobie (650) 493-3050 to ask about the crazing and they quickly offered me a new chamber and spare rubber seal for free!

Gerry Kaslowski
10-29-2014, 7:51 PM
I've used one for years. They are fantastic. You can get an even better deal by buying from Bed, Bath & Beyond and using one of their 20% coupons. I have the newer one at home and the original in my camper. When I found the newer inverted method, I tried it and immediately switched over. No more having all the water leaking into the cup.