PDA

View Full Version : What screws do I use for particle board stair treads?

Brian Elfert
10-06-2014, 11:45 AM
I bought a house I am renovating. The particle board stair treads squeak like crazy. What type of screws should I use to quiet them down? The steps are bare right now with no carpet on them.

Kent A Bathurst
10-06-2014, 5:39 PM
What are you screwing into below the treads?

Can you pull the treads fairly easily? IF so, you might want to pull them, lay down a bead of contstruction adhesive, relpace them.

As to the type of screws - I don't think it really matters - no shear forces at play, so even drywall screws should do it. As long as you have something solid you are screwing into.

Jason Roehl
10-06-2014, 6:13 PM
I wouldn't try to pull particle board treads unless I planned to replace them with new material.

I'd use some 3" deck screws, preferably Torx and with as large a head as possible. Spiral nails wouldn't be a bad option, either.

Rich Engelhardt
10-06-2014, 7:22 PM
Coarse Kreg pocket screws are my favorite "go to" for anything on the interior.

Exterior and/or larger stuff, Spax.

Brad Adams
10-06-2014, 9:22 PM
GRK Screws work well

Jim Matthews
10-06-2014, 9:26 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Squeeeeek-No-More-Hardwood-Squeak-Elimination-Kit-3232/100662994

As mentioned above, particle board presents screw holding problems.

Ole Anderson
10-07-2014, 8:29 AM
I would predrill (and countersink) the treads so the screw threads don't get caught up in the particle board, and are able to suck the treads down to the stringers. Forget drywall screws, and follow Jason's recommendation for 3" deck screws, just get ones with traditional bugle heads, some have tiny heads which look good for dense composite deck boards, but will pull right through particle board. They are usually heavier than drywall or Kreg screws. I like the torx heads too, but with a good bit, Phillips or square drive will work.

Jason Roehl
10-07-2014, 8:57 AM
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Squeeeeek-No-More-Hardwood-Squeak-Elimination-Kit-3232/100662994

As mentioned above, particle board presents screw holding problems.

There's a difference here, though. Particle board doesn't hold screw threads well, but a screw head isn't likely to pull through a particle board stair tread that's affixed to dimensional lumber. I would guess/assume that the stringers underneath are yellow pine. That's why I recommended something with a large head.

Rich Engelhardt
10-07-2014, 10:03 AM
just get ones with traditional bugle heads
I had a lot of trouble with bugle head screws splitting and cracking and taking out big chunks of particle board on some shelves I stuck up in the garage.

Brian Elfert
10-07-2014, 10:38 AM
I am going through particle board treads into standard construction lumber. I don't think I want any screw threads in the particle board. One problem is the builder didn't seem to cut the stringers even. There are shims under the center of every tread. I'm half tempted just to replace all the treads with new ones made out of actual wood. I know from experience that particle is hard to remove in one piece.

What about using screws like these?298006 They have a large head which might help.

The kits designed for squeaky floors are usually intended for hardwood floors, or floors with carpet already on them. My steps are bare right now due to a whole house renovation so I can use normal screws. I will be having carpet put on the steps.

Rich Engelhardt
10-07-2014, 3:20 PM
Yep - them's the ones,,,,

Either Spax or GRK make that style.

Curt Harms
10-08-2014, 7:23 AM
I am going through particle board treads into standard construction lumber. I don't think I want any screw threads in the particle board. One problem is the builder didn't seem to cut the stringers even. There are shims under the center of every tread. I'm half tempted just to replace all the treads with new ones made out of actual wood. I know from experience that particle is hard to remove in one piece.

What about using screws like these?298006 They have a large head which might help.

The kits designed for squeaky floors are usually intended for hardwood floors, or floors with carpet already on them. My steps are bare right now due to a whole house renovation so I can use normal screws. I will be having carpet put on the steps.

Particle board for stair treads is a new one on me 'course I don't get out much :). Replacing them with solid wood seems like a nice idea but you probably don't need another project right now.

Brian Elfert
10-08-2014, 9:18 AM
Particle board for stair treads is a new one on me 'course I don't get out much :). Replacing them with solid wood seems like a nice idea but you probably don't need another project right now.

I don't think particle board stair treads are that uncommon. They are still sold at lumber yards and big box stores. The lumber yard had particle board treads for $6 and wood for over $20. I can get wood ones at a big box store for about $10 each. If the wood ones were as thick as the particle board ones I would get wood to replace the two treads that got wet and need replacement.

Chris Padilla
10-08-2014, 12:51 PM
When you say "wood', are we talking solid wood...not plywood? How thick is a common stair tread anyway? Solid wood or plywood sounds WAY better than particle board any day of the week. Get that stuff out of there!! :)

Kent A Bathurst
10-08-2014, 6:40 PM
How thick is a common stair tread anyway?

INterior hardwood step treads are usually 3/4" finished thickness. Some @ 1" - span/strength issues to address.

Outdoor PT is 1" or 1-1/2" [span issue again].

Curt Harms
10-09-2014, 8:28 AM
I don't think particle board stair treads are that uncommon. They are still sold at lumber yards and big box stores. The lumber yard had particle board treads for $6 and wood for over $20. I can get wood ones at a big box store for about $10 each. If the wood ones were as thick as the particle board ones I would get wood to replace the two treads that got wet and need replacement.

Would it be practical to use solid wood and plywood to match the thickness?

Brian Elfert
10-09-2014, 2:45 PM
When you say "wood', are we talking solid wood...not plywood? How thick is a common stair tread anyway? Solid wood or plywood sounds WAY better than particle board any day of the week. Get that stuff out of there!! :)

Yes, the wood stair treads are solid wood. They are glued up pieces of pine. Particle board stair treads are typically 1-1/8" thick and wood stair treads are 1" thick. Not much difference, but it seemed like more at the store.

I would like to just replace all the treads, but it would cost $100+ and take an evening (or two) of work. My father is helping me and I know he would think it a waste of money to replace perfectly good stair treads.

Richard Wolf
10-12-2014, 8:04 PM
Hardwood treads are now 1 1/32" thick. They should be replaced. but if it is not a project that can be done now, I would try driving 3" screws in at an angle through the treads into the stringers and then re-carpet the staircase.

Edward Clarke
10-13-2014, 12:18 AM
I think that stair treads may be a standard thickness. My house ( about 1923 ) had old pine stair treads with faded stain and a big white patch where a runner went up the stairs. I pulled the treads out and replaced them with oak from Home Depot. I also replaced the railing with white pre-finished rungs and an oak rail.

I've been very happy with the way the stairs came out and it wasn't that expensive.