PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate?

Jay Selway
10-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Is that a material that can be laser engraved? Or am I going to kill myself with toxic gas?

Looking to do a snowboard helmet: http://www.the-house.com/re8avi02bk12zz-red-snowboard-helmets.html

Guy Hilliard
10-06-2014, 1:46 PM
You can cut PC with the laser. It stinks so you need a good exhaust system, but it will not kill you as quick as other things will.

Kevin Gregerson
10-06-2014, 3:35 PM
Depends on the mark you want.

If you simply want an engraving with a co2 style laser. Engraving will typically discolor the material in and around the engraved area. The surrounding are may also show signs of melting.

If you want photo imaging move up to a fiber laser instead.

Kev Williams
10-06-2014, 4:10 PM
It stains itself yellow when you engrave and cut it, but it does cut...

Jay Selway
10-06-2014, 5:56 PM
Good to know.

It's a dark color, so I'm not sure how noticeable the stain would be. Have you ever tried it with a black / gray PC?

Kevin Gregerson
10-06-2014, 6:00 PM
Good to know.

It's a dark color, so I'm not sure how noticeable the stain would be. Have you ever tried it with a black / gray PC?

Black isn't too bad, it's just not going to highlight very well. With black I'd use a fiber laser to bring out a white mark.

Henri Sallinen
10-07-2014, 3:14 AM
Not sure if it's relative on this case, but since we're talking about helmets, are you sure that the lasering wont affect the impact resistance of the helmet?

greg lindsey
10-07-2014, 12:14 PM
I cut a lot of PC. On a 60 watt cutting 1/16 PC some of the tricks are to cover it with vinyl masking tape , 20 speed , 80 pwr two passes, the yellowing is hardly noticeable. Engraving PC, while it's covered, make two passes at 40 speed , 80 pwr 400 dpi (important part) 600dpi just melts it to hard. Since it's black I paint while the masking it still on , usually two coats. Raster first, paint, cover the engraving with more tape before cutting , this will keep the engraving from getting the yellow smoke from the cutting falling into the engraving...

Jay Selway
10-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Awesome, thanks Greg!

Ross Moshinsky
10-07-2014, 1:18 PM
I'm surprised no one has addressed the whole engraving on a non flat object obsticle. I'd say this is a bad idea for a first project on the laser. The sides look flat enough to do something possibly but it's definitely a tricky project. I'd look into vinyl or possibly a media blast as an option before lasering.

David Somers
10-07-2014, 1:24 PM
Greg,

Is the yellow smoke an issue with our lenses? Just curious.

Dave

Jay Selway
10-07-2014, 2:38 PM
I'm surprised no one has addressed the whole engraving on a non flat object obsticle. I'd say this is a bad idea for a first project on the laser. The sides look flat enough to do something possibly but it's definitely a tricky project. I'd look into vinyl or possibly a media blast as an option before lasering.

I hate vinyl. Looks cheap and peals off. I'd rather just hand paint it with my quills.

The spot getting done is on the side of the helmet, which is rather flat. Plus, I'm getting the rotary attachment for the speedy 400. Could probably work that in somehow.

Ross Moshinsky
10-07-2014, 3:26 PM
I hate vinyl. Looks cheap and peals off. I'd rather just hand paint it with my quills.

The spot getting done is on the side of the helmet, which is rather flat. Plus, I'm getting the rotary attachment for the speedy 400. Could probably work that in somehow.

You'd have to get very creative to make that work in a rotary.

greg lindsey
10-07-2014, 5:00 PM
David, never had an issue with the smoke. I clean lenses as needed.